Skip to main content

Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome Network supports Pulmonary Fibrosis Research Enhancement Act

The Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome Network (HPS Network) is supporting the Pulmonary Fibrosis Research Enhancement Act, re-introduced this Congressional session in the Senate by Senators Chris Coons (D-DE) and Mike Crapo (R-ID). In the U.S. House of Representatives, Rep. Erik Paulsen (R-MN) and Rep. Tammy Baldwin (D-WI) have introduced the bill. (The bill numbers are S.1350 and H.R. 2505)







The legislation calls for a national registry of pulmonary fibrosis patients to assist research. As Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome causes pulmonary fibrosis 100 percent of the time in types 1 and 4, it is the Network’s hope that those with HPS will be included in these efforts.






The bill also calls on the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) to intensify and expand efforts to research pulmonary fibrosis.






The legislation also calls for the creation of a national pulmonary fibrosis education and awareness plan which would strive to improve public awareness of pulmonary fibrosis and accelerate patient and medical education strategies about pulmonary fibrosis. This is another key area in which the HPS Network is keen to participate. “It is relatively simple and inexpensive to look for albinism in pulmonary fibrosis patients. You can look for nystagmus in the eyes, and if you see it, test further for HPS,” says Heather Kirkwood, Vice President of the HPS Network, “Identifying pulmonary fibrosis patients who may have HPS could save or prolong lives.”






HPS is a rare form of albinism that causes a bleeding disorder, as well as a Crohn’s-like digestive problem and pulmonary fibrosis in some gene types. “We’ve had a number of HPS lung transplants, but it’s important for physicians to be aware of the bleeding aspects of HPS so they can be treated. Open lung biopsies to diagnose pulmonary fibrosis should also be avoided in patients with HPS.”






Other groups in the pulmonary fibrosis community have championed this legislation since 2007 including the Coalition for Pulmonary Fibrosis and the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation.






The HPS Network hopes that by raising the profile of pulmonary fibrosis research, the entire pulmonary fibrosis community, including those with HPS, will benefit from better diagnosis, better treatments, and someday, a cure.


Comments

This is really a great news. Thanks to those people who helps pulmonary fibrosis patients. This is really a big help for them. Thumbs up!!

Popular posts from this blog

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for...

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I...