Skip to main content

A memo to the President

I, along with much of the country, was glued to this morning’s festivities in Washington. It was a historic moment, one of those moments people will tell their grandchildren about. I voted for Obama, and I had very specific reasons for doing so. (Please remember, this is indeed my personal blog and thus these are my personal opinions.)

One thing I appreciate about having been able to do so much traveling when I was young is that it’s exciting to see events on television taking place on the very ground you’ve actually walked on.

This fall regular readers will remember that Ryan took Elsie and I on a tour of the Capitol, and so once again I got to look at the images and say, hey, I’ve been there!

And then I thought about what it must be like to actually be there. Obama seemed to stumble a bit on the oath. Can you blame him? Anyone’s nerves would be a little on edge. I watched as the Obamas walked the Bush family to Marine One. They stood on the steps of the Capitol, and I wondered what they must be saying to one another. Maybe Bush said, “Hey Barack, breakfast was great. Best of luck – say, here’s the keys to the house. I left an extra set under the planter on the back porch. Say, gotta run – I think that’s my ride.”

And then I thought, what if I could have the ear of the new President, even if only for a few minutes.

I think I would say this:

Mr. President, congratulations on such a memorable day. Few people in the world will ever know what it’s like to feel the way you must feel right now. I may not be much of a political pundit, but I believe you won this election because so many people felt you could understand them in a way they haven’t been understood in a long time. That’s why they’re shoulder to shoulder on the Mall.

They believed that you could understand what it is like to be an every-day worker and not a captain of industry. They believed that you would bring a perspective to the office of President that was a change – that was different.

As you settle in, the expectations of you are so high that no human being could possibly live up to them. Soon you’ll have people pulling at you from all directions with all sorts of agendas.

When that happens Mr. President, don’t forget people like me. Your candidacy has created many fruitful conversations about race in America and equality. I can’t help but notice that in discussions of equality, the disabled somehow seem to be left out. We’re the one group of people that for many, it’s still okay to discriminate against. Just take a look at our unemployment statistics.

Mr. President, don’t forget about people like me striving to contribute the most I can in a system that would tie one hand behind my back for the sake of keeping my health care.

Mr. President, don’t forget about people like me whose very lives depend on riding the bleeding edge of medical research – research that must be funded by your administration and the incoming Congress.

When you’re talking to the international bankers about the economy, and trying your best to resolve century-old problems around the world – people like me might be easy to forget. The sick and disabled tend not to have Washington think tanks and professional lobbyists working the halls of power every single day. We try, but we can’t match their fire power.

So, Mr. President, in the quiet of your office as you settle in, please, please, don’t forget us. We need you more than ever.

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi Heather,

I liked this post so much, I felt compelled to let you know. Written so well that I felt your emotion as you must have felt when you wrote it. You ought to send it off to President Obama.

>Ana<

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect