Skip to main content

More killings of people with albinism

This afternoon I recieved this update from Under the Same Sun. Those of you that have signed the petition I'm sure got the same update. Yesterday there were several media reports, but I was short on time and couldn't get them posted.

But, here's the update - please do you what you can to increase the number of signers to the petition. More than 4,000 is a good start, but it's just that - a start.


Dear Heather Kirkwood,
You are receiving this email because you signed the petition related to albinism in Tanzania on our website:
www.UnderTheSameSun.com

Thank you - we sincerely appreciate your support.

Sadly I have more disturbing news to share with you - the killings are continuing and spreading, now beyond Tanzanian borders. Last week it was reported by BBC World News that three more persons with albinism had been brutally murdered - this time in the neighboring country of Burundi. One of the victims was a teenage girl – her limbs and tongue hacked off for eventual sale back in Tanzania. Please see the link below for the BBC news coverage of this horrendous event:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7649420.stm

I am encouraged to report that to date we have collected almost 4,000 petition signatures from around the world. It is likely that you have already forwarded the Under the Same Sun website address on to some friends and associates for them to complete the petition. For this, we sincerely thank you!

However, on behalf of all persons with albinism in Tanzania, we need you to do everything you can to help us get more petitions signed.
Please think again about more people to whom you can email the petition link. Possibly you are a member of some kind of association or group? Maybe your place of work or worship might permit an internal email to help with this? Or perhaps you know someone who has a large email address book with which they could reach out to yet more people. May I ask you please to take a few moments and really focus on how you can take this life & death matter to the next level?

And please remember that these people in Tanzania (and now Burundi and the Congo) are EVERYONE’S brothers and sisters. So please find more people to email – if you have albinism or low vision, I encourage you to send this email to your friends and family who do NOT have albinism or low vision. This is a mission to help HUMAN BEINGS who are endangered because they have the genetic condition of albinism.
We have already received 4,000 signatures to take with us to Tanzania, but we want 10,000. Thus, we need 6,000 more petitions to be completed. Our team leaves for Tanzania on Sunday, October 19 - which is fast approaching – less than two weeks away.

I thank you on behalf of our brothers and sisters with albinism who are being HUNTED in Tanzania and now elsewhere in Africa.
Peter AshFounder & Director
Under the Same Sun

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I’m h