Skip to main content

In memory of Elizaira


I know that many of you have been following the story of Elizaira from Puerto Rico. I’m sorry to report that she passed away at 6:00 am on Sunday morning, March 1, 2008. She was 29 years old and leaves behind a husband, two beautiful children and a very loving extended family.

Elizaira was amazing.

She first contacted the HPS Network less than a year ago. She was having trouble breathing and didn’t know about HPS or the possible lung complications. Already her pulmonary function tests were quite low.

Elizaira cared for all of us from the very beginning, before she even knew us. It just so happened that the documentary film crew was at the HPS Network office filming the day she called for information ( It was the second time she called ). The film crew asked if they could film Donna speaking to her and doing the initial new person intake, and even though she didn’t even really know us, she opened up her life for our benefit and agreed.

She traveled to the NIH hoping to be admitted to one of the drug trials, but was already too ill. The only option left was a lung transplant.

Elizaira was a fighter. She had a master’s degree in social work and she set about doing whatever she had to do to get her lung transplant. Her family and friends worked hard to help raise the money that would be needed to travel to the mainland United States for the procedure, to live near the transplant center while she waited etc.

Lung transplants are not available in Puerto Rico. Elizaira’s insurance was Medicaid and it wouldn’t cover any procedures off the island. But Elizaira didn’t give up. She persuaded the Puerto Rican government to give her a $350,000 grant towards the expenses of the surgery – the first such grant to be given to an HPS’er. Piece by piece the finances came together.

The film crew was able to visit Elizaira at her home in Puerto Rico and interview her as well as her family. She traveled an hour away from home in a wheel chair and on oxygen to briefly attend the HPS Family Conference in Puerto Rico in September. There, she received a standing salute in support of her quest for new lungs.

Elizaira was so brave. She left her two young children behind in Puerto Rico with her mother - not knowing what the outcome would be – and came to Fairfax, Va. with her husband to wait for her new lungs.

She fought so hard every step of the way. But Sunday she just couldn’t fight anymore. Now, she’s at peace with God.

She’s allowed the NIH to take whatever tissue samples they need to benefit research. An autopsy is being done this week at NIH and then her body will be flown back to Puerto Rico.

Elizaira was a trail blazer. She was a brave fighter in our battle for the cure. She touched us all.

Comments

Dawn said…
Thank you, Heather, for this beautiful tribute. Our hearts go out to Elizaira's family tonight. We are praying that God will comfort them in their sorrow. Dawn, for all the Campbells

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I’m h