Skip to main content

Nearly 12 months post transplant



I’m on the home stretch of making it to a year post transplant. The first year feels like such a big mile stone! So much has happened! I tell people it has been a roller coaster ride, and I’m not kidding.

I’m at a stage where I think I’m experiencing post transplant PTSD. Actually, I wonder if the psychological world needs to come up with another term for the emotional fallout from traumatic medical events. For me, at least, it isn’t the same as what I read about in people who have experienced PTSD from combat, assault or other types of trauma. I don’t startle easily. I’m not worried about what might be around a corner. What I am is emotional. I know some of that could be the medications. I can cry at the drop of a hat. Little things bring back memories and the waterworks just starts flowing.

This time last year I had the transplant clinic appointment where they told me I should start thinking about coming into the hospital. It was one of those mile stones I had prayed I’d never reach. I really, really had hoped my lungs would come while I was still at home. Last January was such a tough month, but at the time, I didn’t get emotional very often. I had to get business done and I couldn’t afford to fall apart at every task.

I took Finley to the vet even though it wasn’t yet time for his checkup. I wanted to make sure everything was okay with him, that his vaccines were up to date etc. so that no one would have to deal with that stuff while I was sick or if I died.

My sister-in-law and I went to see an attorney to get my legal world in order…living will/advanced directives and power of attorney. My health issues have pretty much drained away any assets, but I wanted to know if I needed any type of will? It was a strange place between planning to do battle to live, and getting ready to die.

The really crazy thing is at the time, I felt so strongly I’d get my transplant. That is crazy because so many, many people don’t. It was crazy because it was a coping mechanism completely out of character for me. I usually envision the worst case scenario, deal and process that, and then everything that happens is better than expected. But this time, even though I was preparing for the worst case scenario, I wasn’t in that head space. The human brain is capable of amazing things. This sort of compartmentalizing got me through.

What I really feared was sitting in the hospital with nothing to do but sit around and think. While I was at home, I had my routine, my Finley and my work. I could live in the moment without as many reminders about how dire things were getting. I know that might seem strange to anyone who saw me then. I was on so much oxygen and struggled to do simple things, but from my point of view, it was a process that happened gradually. Every change just sort of got adopted as my new normal. What really scared me was getting to the point that I was in the hospital. You can’t pretend everything is okay when you need so much oxygen you can’t live in your own house. I knew that once I was in the hospital, there would be a progression of things that would happen as I got worse and I knew what they would mean as they happened.

Waiting for a transplant is a mental game, and I knew I was about to enter the toughest round. I knew that once I went into the hospital, chances are I wouldn’t be coming out.

So, this time last year these were all the things going on in my head. I didn’t want to talk about them much because I know family and friends had their own things to cope with regarding me. I remember one day the sun was coming in the window and everything in the apartment was quiet and peaceful. Finley was sitting in a sun spot. It all seemed so normal, and yet, everything was about to be turned on its head. It was coming. It was only a few weeks away, if I didn’t get the call.

I’m seeing the photos that come up on Facebook as memories, and sometimes, they make me just break down and cry because I remember what was really going through my head when I posted them.

Last year I took Finley to get his photo taken with Santa Clause at PetSmart. I knew everyone thought I was being silly and it was a dumb thing to do. In my head, however, there weren’t many pictures of both of us together. Finley is like my little family, and I wanted a good photo of us together. (The only other good ones I had were the ones Frankie took – thank you Frankie!) The PetSmart photo didn’t turn out to be that great. It ended up being a sales person taking photos in terrible lighting with her phone. If I’d known that, I probably wouldn’t have done it…but that was the method behind the madness.

As frustrated as I feel with my lack of progress in my recovery in some areas, things sure are different than they were this time last year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect