Skip to main content

I want it, and I want it now

Patience may be a virtue, but it is certainly not a skill of mine. I am just about at my five-month lungaversary. They are constantly telling me that everyone’s recovery is different. You can’t compare your recovery to someone else’s. Intellectually, I get that. Really, I do. Emotionally, however, I’m like a toddler. I want it, and I want it now. And why shouldn’t I?

This transplant has been hard work. I’m blessed that I got a lung at all. So many of my good friends did everything right, waited and waited, and the lung never came in time. While I’ve beaten the statistics consistently throughout my life, I am well aware of all the post-transplant statistics. I am well aware of all the complications that can happen. I’ve been given a chance. I’ve been given more time. I don’t want to spend it waiting. I’ve got a lot to do with this new lung.

Thankfully, (knocking on wood) the new lung is working pretty good right now. It isn’t up to full capacity by any stretch, but my spirometry is holding steady, and even trending upwards at a slow crawl. I’ll take that! At least it is moving in the right direction. I haven’t needed oxygen, and the times where I might be on the bubble needing oxygen are fewer and fewer.

My legs, however, remain a problem. I think they are improving, but it is hard to tell. One day I can walk a mile, and the next it’s a struggle to make it around the block or stand at the sink doing dishes for longer than 10 minutes. I don’t quite get why it can vary so much from day to day.

No one has to sell me on the importance of exercise. I’m sold on the concept. I was never a big fan before, admittedly, but my two years in pulmonary rehab convinced me it is the key, not only to a decent quality of life pre-transplant, but to recovery post-transplant. It seems, however, that my legs never got the memo.

I’m feeling frustrated. Yes, I know, everyone’s recovery is different, but at this point, I feel like I should be able to do more than I can in a more consistent way.

Sometimes I need a reminder about how far I’ve come, even if it isn’t far enough. This morning I was looking for a document in my e-mail from my transplant coordinator. As I searched through the e-mails, there was this record of back and forth about all the problems that have come up along the way. I have to remember I’ve only been out of germ jail for about a month. It wasn’t quite two months ago I was fighting falling white blood cell counts. Even if I can’t walk as well as I should, there has been progress.

Even so, let me be cranky about my lack of progress. Let me complain and moan and be frustrated. It isn’t that I like feeling this way, but be glad that I do. It’s the frustration and the high, maybe unreasonable, expectations that keep me pushing. Be glad I’m not happy to continue to cruise around in my wheelchair (as fun as it is for someone who has never been able to drive.)

Last night as I was lying in bed feeling so frustrated, I was doing leg lifts and talking to my legs. The language I was using to them isn’t family friendly. I was just trying to find a way, something I could do, to make those muscles work. I’m still waiting to hear back from rehab. I can’t wait to hear back from them to work on this problem though. So, I complain, and grumble, and feel frustrated and cranky – and so I move.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect