Skip to main content

Worried for Puerto Rico



Living with a rare and chronic illness is never easy, but try doing it in the face of an epic natural disaster – no water, no power, no fuel – forget easy access to medical care, medical equipment or medications.

My family connection to Puerto Rico is distant. My great grandfather was from the northwest part of the island. He came to the mainland United States to go to college, and eventually became a professor at the University of Oklahoma. He was a linguist. While I inherited an HPS gene from him, sadly I didn’t get the language gene.

Living in Europe, I learned a lot about the history and culture of the other aspects of my heritage, but I never knew much about Puerto Rico. My grandmother would tell us stories about visiting the family plantation when she was a child, but that was about all I knew of the place.

When I was diagnosed with HPS, one of the blessings (instead of curses) that came with the diagnosis was a sudden intimate connection to the island. Suddenly I knew tons of people from Puerto Rico, and they were more than casual acquaintances – they became family! I was also blessed to get to visit the island several times to attend HPS conferences and work on HPS outreach. That was interesting, but it was also very satisfying to travel through parts of the island I knew my great grandfather and his family must have known. It was a connection to learn more about the culture and the food and the feel of the place.

My family here lost connection with the extended family in Puerto Rico when my grandmother’s last cousin (that she kept in touch with for years and years) finally passed away. I’ve always wanted to find extended family there, and make sure they knew about HPS, but I’ve never been able to do it. Every time I’ve attended an HPS event in Puerto Rico, I look at the crowd and wonder what the odds are that someone there is related to me, albeit distantly.

Unlike my many, many, Puerto Rican friends, I am not waiting to hear about the welfare of a relative. Still, waiting for news and watching for updates has had me very anxious this past week.

I worry for anyone in Puerto Rico who might have HPS and be on oxygen. Their oxygen concentrators won’t be working and I have no idea how they will get fresh oxygen tanks delivered anytime soon! I worry about whether anyone with HPS has been injured and may be bleeding and need medical attention. I worry about the health implications for anyone with HPS going forward as the island tries to recover. Are their lungs being exposed to mildew or mold that could affect their long-term prognosis? Are they out in the sun and unable to get the sunscreen that could prevent skin cancers? Are they getting exposed to bacteria in flood waters that could make them sick and further complicate their medical lives?

On the news I’ve heard about people unable to get kidney dialysis or insulin. When you have a chronic health issue, you are so vulnerable when things go wrong. It is scary!

I’ve felt so frustrated by the scant attention given to the plight of Puerto Rico in the media. I know the challenges of a natural disaster on an island are different than those in an area on the mainland. People can’t load up their cars and drive there to bring supplies etc. Still, I can’t help but feel that if this were happening elsewhere in the US, more would be done faster. It is sad that every news story has to emphasize that Puerto Ricans are American citizens. I guess I’m glad they are making the point, but it says something that they have to make it at all. Puerto Rico has the highest per capita participation rate in the Armed Forces. They have fought and died for the US for generations, yet according to surveys, more than half of Americans don’t even know Puerto Ricans are citizens.

I can’t imagine how all this must frustrate my friends with closer ties to the island.



For now, we are trying to figure out what we can do to help those with HPS recover. What needs might they have that are unique, and what is the most effective way to help?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect