Skip to main content

Listed for lung transplant

My transplant hospital - Inova Fairfax

So, this post is a month in the making! After getting rid of half of my belongings, relocating to Arlington, VA, lots and lots of fundraising by treasured friends and supporters, and a year of tests, more tests, some tests, dieting, more dieting, a hospitalization and a big dental saga – I am FINALLY listed for a double lung transplant.

Some of the people I know who are going through the same process get kind of blue when they are listed. It is the last resort thing to do, and it’s super scary. For me, however, I felt like having a party! I celebrated with friends from Kansas that were visiting and I ate a hamburger. I was craving a totally unhealthy kind of hamburger and fries. I don’t think lung transplant is easy for anyone, and there are certainly other people (some in my pulmonary rehab group) who have issues just as rare – but I was never able to assume I’d get listed, even if I did everything right.

The anxiety I’ve lived with for the past few years was huge. After getting listed, it is as if all this tension left my body. I actually was using less oxygen for a few days, although that didn’t last. I felt so tired, and even sore from releasing all this tension. My concentration became worse than usual – and lately it hasn’t been good. You might say I was giddy.

I know a transplant isn’t a cure, and isn’t a sure thing. Too many of my close friends have passed away waiting, so I truly understand that, but at least for now, I’ve truly done everything I can do. Now, I just have to keep exercising as much as possible and eating healthy and avoiding germs. Besides that, it is just waiting. It might be another day, or another month, or another year. There is no way to know. Every time the phone rings, my stomach drops a little, even though my current lung allocation score is pretty low and the chances I’ll get a call are pretty slim just now.


As the holiday season went on, I couldn’t help but think that if I am going to live, there is another person out there, another family, for whom this past holiday season might be the last one. They likely have no idea something terrible will happen to them. It is also a little incredible to think that if I am going to live, these new lungs grew up somewhere else. They have a different family, different friends, different experiences that matter. So while I felt giddy to be given a chance, there is another side to this that is so sad. I have no idea where my lungs will come from, or who will make the decision that will give me a chance to live – and for their lungs to continue to live inside me. But while I have no idea who they are, or where they are from, or anything about them – I think of them every day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect