Skip to main content

The gift of tissue

I think we in the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome community understand the gift of life better than most. We wait with anxiety and anticipation with our friends in need of new lungs. We pray that some family out there somewhere will have the heart and the strength to make a gift of their loved ones lungs when they are in such pain and grief themselves. 

As HPSers, we can give as well as receive. We have it in our power to give the gift of life and hope to our HPS friends for years to come. For us, the gift might not be as straight forward, but it is as precious all the same. We can give the gift of tissue for research.

We can do this in lots of ways. If you have a planned surgery or biopsy, contact the HPS Network and let us know. This way, we can consult with the researchers to determine whether what you’re having removed or sampled could have some value to our research. For example, last year an HPSer having an overy removed let us know. We didn’t think it would be of interest to researchers, but in fact, they wanted it. Another HPSer, after years and years of fighting bowel disease, had an ostomy. He donated his removed colon to HPS research. The Network contracted with NDRI to have it tissue banked, and now it could very likely be more valuable than gold to HPS bowel research.

Over the years, as HPSers have either received lung transplants, or sadly passed away from the pulmonary fibrosis of HPS, they have donated their old lungs to research. While research might not have been able to save their native lungs, they gave us a precious gift. These samples can be so precious to research, and with a rare disease like HPS, they are made even more precious because they are so hard to obtain.

What we’ve learned over the years, however, is that making this gift isn’t just a matter of telling your doctor and signing a consent form. Even when HPS patients have been eager to donate their tissue, the system creates a lot of obstacles. It’s necessary to not just have a signed form, but an action plan that can take some time and effort to put together.

It shouldn’t be so hard, but it is.

Here is an example of why.

Several years ago an HPS patient made our job easy. They came to us eager to donate their lungs for research. We all hoped this person would get a lung transplant and live a long life with new lungs. But, that wasn’t to be. The patient signed consent forms with the NIH and with her hospital. They made their wishes very clear to their doctors and their family. Even as they were critically ill, they were asking loved ones to be sure their lungs went to research. They saw it as a gift for the future of their HPS friends – a final legacy to help us find a treatment.

We thought everything was ready to go to make their final wish come true. Yet even with all this advanced planning, there was trouble. When the patient passed away, it wasn’t during normal business hours. The pathologist would not come in to prepare the tissue samples on off hours. By the time he got to it, too much time had passed and what we really needed was no longer possible.

We learned a lot from that case. We learned that doing all the things you are supposed to do isn’t always enough. Now, one of our advocacy priorities is to try to improve this system. Perhaps we need to help our HPSers speak directly to the head of pathology to plead that they understand how rare and precious these gifts are and to help them understand what a vital role they play in our gift of life. Perhaps we need to find a way to allow NDRI (our tissue procurement company) to deal directly with the transplant surgeon as well as pathology. Honestly, we aren’t sure what the plan will look like. It will also have to be different depending on the patient, the nature of the tissue donation, and where the patient is located.

The part I struggle with the most is having this discussion with HPSers who are sick or who are hoping for new lungs. I feel like I’m being some kind of vulture after body parts. I know it has to be done. I know many HPSers actually find meaning in being able to give this gift to all of us. Still, it’s so hard.

I will never forget how easy my friend Elsie made this process. Elsie loved her HPS family so much. This was very important to her. She made it easy for me to talk to her about the subject because she brought it up. She flat out told me not to feel funny about it because it was something she wanted to do. She gave me permission to have the conversation, and that alone was a huge gift. She took away that feeling of guilt I sometimes have when I have to bring up this subject.

So, in closing, please help us by being willing to make these gifts of life. Call the HPS Network office and let us know it is something you want to do so we can help you do it. If you ask us, it makes the process so much easier.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I’m h