Skip to main content

Back to School for HPSers

It's that time of year again. The summer is almost over and it's almost time to start back to school. 

I was a kid with HPS so long ago. (And, I didn't know I had HPS when I was a kid - scary thought!) I"m sure a lot has changed. 

One thing I'm sure hasn't changed is the need to make sure things are ready to go at the start of the school year. And, if they're not, that someone is working on the issue. 

One problem I always had was getting my large print or tape text books ON TIME! I don't think that ever happened, even once, after about fifth grade. I'd spend weeks suffering away with regular sized fonts and much eye strain. 

Now, with technology so much a part of education, I suspect parents also need to make sure the appropriate technology is in place to participate, read the board etc. 

Fran Moore is a board member of the HPS Network. She will be on the Aug. 13th English-speaking HPS Parent call. It's a great chance for parents to talk to someone who knows about anything they should be checking out before school. And, with HPS, it isn't just issues of vision. Is the school nurse up to speed? Do they need an HPS refresher? 

Fran will also be attending the NAPVI Back to School conference. She'll be reporting back to us about it. It will be in the Bronx if any HPS parents want to know more. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect