Skip to main content

A tough week



Now that I’ve blogged about how the trip to NIH went from a health standpoint, I thought I’d blog a bit about how it went from an emotional standpoint. Honestly, it was a tough trip this time.

In past years I’d always tried to go to NIH with a friend whenever possible. It makes the time go faster. Thankfully, I never have to wait long for test results. These days Kevin is really awesome about not keeping me in suspense. Years ago, you had to wait all week to get any results. Still, the waiting…waiting for the tests…waiting for the appointments…waiting for the results…it can seem to drag on forever. All the while, one can’t help but worry. It might seem silly, but sometimes I feel like the one time I’m at ease, the one time I’m not worried, will be the time something will catch me unprepared. The truth is one can never be prepared for some of the news these tests could bring back. It makes no sense to me that somehow if I see it coming it won’t be so bad when it finally comes. Yet, it’s how I feel.

Thus, being at NIH with a friend makes it so much less stressful. It can even have its fun moments.

I hadn’t even though about this leading up to the trip, but the moment I walked into the lobby of the hospital I thought of Elsie.

I haven’t been back to NIH since Elsie passed away. We always tried to get our trips together during the drug trial. Somehow walking into that lobby with the large atrium and the café where we used to get soup brought back this wave of emotion. I almost broke into tears just walking in the building.

I collected myself fairly quickly and went on to admissions. Still, everywhere I went all week there were reminders of Elsie and others that I’ve been to NIH with who are no longer here.

Many of the nurses and techs that care for us we come to know very well. Even though I hadn’t been back in years, they still remembered me and asked about things in my life we used to talk about. I asked about their kids, grandkids etc.

They used to always assume Elsie and I were sisters. Even though I’m almost a foot taller than she was, we looked very much alike. Everyone used to assume we were sisters, and no matter how much we told them we were just good friends, they always thought of us as sisters.

This time, at almost every test I went to – from the PFTs to the EKG – someone asked me, “And where’s your sister?”

I knew what they met and had to tell them that Elsie had passed. It was tough, but I do so much appreciate how many people asked about her and remembered her.

I had to stay an extra night Friday night. The floor was almost completely empty and the nurses didn’t seem terribly busy. I spent part of the evening chatting with them. Some of them have cared for HPS patients for years through the drug trial. They asked me about several HPSers they’d cared for over the years and what I knew about what was happening to them. Sadly, a number of them are people who have also passed. It was sobering for me, and for them. It was also kind of sad that they had no idea what ever became of so many of us.

I guess that is the nature of the business. They see hundreds of patients a year I know. I felt honored that they remembered so many of us by name.

I couldn’t help but think, would they ever know if something happened to me? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect