Skip to main content

How much do you know about the uninsured?

I saw this quiz this morning, and I had to share! It tests your knowledge about the uninsured. I very, very rarely speak on this blog about my own political views. I do this intentionally because, while this is my PERSONAL blog, I don't want anyone to ever be confused about what's my personal view of the world, and what is the HPS Network's policy. We need to be in this fight for the cure with a unified voice, and so I forgo voicing my own politics in an effort to keep readers focused on the goal - the cure. 


That being said, for many of us living with HPS, HUGE medical bills are a way of life. One thing that makes living with a chronic illness like HPS different than many other types of illness is that for many of us with HPS, the "sick tax" never ends. I'm not going to get better than I am now. If anything, I'm going to get worse. Since the age of 19 I've had monthly medical bills that at their best, and with employer coverage, were never once less than $200. Now, my medical bills are even more than they were in my 20s. 


I do have Medicare, and a Medicare Part D plan, (which by the way I pay $223 a month for between the two). My disability check alone is too much income to qualify for any assistance from Medicaid etc. in Kansas. Sometimes, when I'm able to earn income in addition to my disability, I qualify for a program for people on disability who are able to work in Kansas. But, this program doesn't begin to kick in until my out of pocket expenses in a six month span exceed $6,000. Given my average income (income varies depending on how much I'm able to do in any given stretch) - that's about 60 percent of my income in a six-month period. Got to say, that's almost useless help. I used to have insurance that covered what Medicare doesn't - but once I entered the drug donut hole, I could no longer afford both the insurance and my medications. Now, I owe KUMed $600 for bills from the 20 percent I'm supposed to pay under Medicare. 


I say all of this (and could say so much more) because when and if you take this quiz, I want you to understand this quiz isn't even talking about me. I do have some coverage! That's how big this problem is. 


A while ago I heard a man call into a talk radio show. I'd blow him off if it weren't a comment I've now heard several times. He argued that no one in America dies because they can't access health care. If anyone is truly in need, they can go to an emergency room and be treated. 


There is SOO much wrong with that argument. If anyone wants me to spell it all out for them, I'd be happy to blog about that one - but let me tell you, people DO die in America due to lack of health coverage. The problem is it's usually a chronic lack of access and when it comes to the death certificate "lack of money" is never listed as a cause of death. 


http://quiz.kff.org/uninsured/uninsured-quiz.aspx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect