Skip to main content

Missing my HPS friends in heaven

I’m finally home from conference and it was a wonderful time. It’s hard to explain to someone who hasn’t had the experience of fighting something like HPS and feeling so isolated what it’s like to spend several days with so many people who “get you.”

I’m posting about this first, however, because I want to share it. Still, conference was such an uplifting and happy event; I don’t want my grief to tarnish it. If I post this first, it will be followed by so much uplifting news, I hope the effect will be as desired. Grin!

As wonderful as conference was this year, I was more aware than ever of the HPS’ers that are no longer with us.

I think back to my first HPS conference in 2003 and all the people I met that weekend. At the time most were as healthy (or not healthy depending on how you look at it) as I am, yet so many of them are no longer here. I can’t help but be a bit shaken by the difference a few years can make.

Conference isn’t the same without Carmen M. She lived for conference. I say this affectionately when I say Carmen was LOUD. You always knew she was around because she was so lively and full of life. She truly relished being among her HPS brothers and sisters. Every time I watch the documentary and see her in the front row yelling and cheering us all on to smile for the camera, I miss her.

I also couldn’t stop thinking about Elsie all weekend. I got teary a few times and had to quickly find a way to hide it. Conference is uplifting. We go out of our way to make it a celebration, not a downer. I didn’t want to impact that by crying too much openly. Still, every time there was a new piece of news, I kept thinking “I have to call Elsie and tell her” – and then I’d remember that she’s not here anymore.

Karen was able to visit Elsie’s husband and kids in Florida. She brought me back a purse that was Elsie’s. I’ll probably never use it. One of the handles is coming loose and I’d be afraid to put too much in it. Even so, that’s not the real reason. It’s the only thing I have of Elsie’s. I took it from Karen at conference and quickly put it in my suitcase without looking at it.

But when I got home and was starting to unpack Thursday, I found it wrapped up in a blue plastic bag. I carefully unwrapped it and looked it over and hugged it. I cried for a good 45 minutes.

Every year we have a Sunday morning service at conference. It’s a way for those of us grieving our HPS friends to come together and grieve together. When you live so far apart from one another, and you lose someone close, it can be so lonely. You don’t get to do the normal things people get to do when they experience a loss. I know this might sound crazy, but it was good to cry with other people who knew Elsie in person. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect