Skip to main content

Strange dreams

The good news is I’ve been sleeping better than usual. The weird news is I’ve had some pretty funky dreams lately. I wish I knew more about dream analysis. What is my sub conscious trying to tell me? Are my dreams always this strange, or is it just that I never remember them, so I’m not aware of how strange they are regularly?






The other night I dreamed I was staying at Donna’s to work in the HPS Network office. Her house became infected with these bugs, sort of like large ticks. They were biting us, and no matter what we did, there were these little blood sucking bugs pinching us and making Ashley and I bleed everywhere. Oh boy – what kind of symbolism is there????? I’m almost afraid to ask!






Many of my dreams have been more like memories from different points in my life. I recognize them as things that have happened. The thing is they aren’t memories of memorable things. Instead, they’re memories of the most mundane things.






For example, I dreamed I was out on a date with a guy I dated 15 or more years ago. I dreamed we went out to a bar, and I had on this dress I really liked. All through the date I didn’t hear anything he said because I was too busy thinking about how great I looked in this dress! I’m not normally so self involved. The thing is, I do remember that dress and I really liked it. I also didn’t date this guy very long because, honestly, we had no interests in common. His favorite topic of conversation was all the things he did in college that he probably shouldn’t have done. The stories of drunken frat boy antics were a huge turn off. So, what was that dream all about? I haven’t thought about the guy or the dress in ages!






Or, another night I dreamed I was back in the house we lived in when I was in high school (the house in Wallhofen, Germany.) It was in the country and surrounded by dairy farms. I used to make the local farmers so upset because I’d either ride my bike, or run, along the fence where the cows were gathering to be fed and milked in the evenings. Cows will follow almost anything, and if you run along the fence, they’ll start running with you. I remember how great it felt to run along that fence with 20 cows following me through the lush green and rolling Moore countryside. I used to joke I was making cottage cheese.


The farmers were not amused because after we’d all been for our run, the cows didn’t want to be milked. Still, although I’ve never been much of a runner, there was something liberating and freeing about getting the cows all stirred up. Why would I dream about that now? Again, I haven’t thought about it in years.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect