Skip to main content

I am only one, but still, I am one

One of my projects lately has been cleaning out my desk, file cabinets and the closet in my study. I’ve done this several times during the past few years, yet somehow, it seems as though the junk reproduces in the dead of night. Today I found something in my bookshelf I thought I’d thrown away in college!







It’s a book of quotes I got as a gift, maybe in junior high. It’s the sort of little gift book you’d find in a stationary store and each page has some famous or memorable quote designed to promote self esteem.






I found one that I felt matched our HPS world so well. It says, “I am only one, but still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do whatever I can. I am only one, but still, I am one.” This is a quote from E. E. Hale. Hale was a Unitarian minister, well-known writer during the 1800’s, and served as a time as the chaplain to the United States Senate.






Hale was active in the anti-slavery movement and promoted a number of social reforms. I don’t know the context of the quote, or where he said it, but I’d guess it relates to his advocacy work. How true it rings today for us!






When you have such an incredibly rare disease, it’s easy to sometimes feel that there is nothing to be done. How is it possible that we can ever raise enough money for the cure when science is still grappling with so many much more common disorders? There’s too much to do to promote awareness, help people get an accurate diagnosis, and advocate for help from government agencies, major medical associations and pharma-companies. It’s too hard. There’s so much to do that whatever small thing little old me could contribute won’t make a difference in the long run. These are easy thoughts to have. They aren’t, however, true.






I never run out of things to do for HPS. I go to bed every night with my mind reorganizing my to-do list by items most urgent.






I’m not alone. Moving the cure forward doesn’t require a to-do list like this. Everything anyone does to help us contributes that much more to our progress. Like adding pebbles to a pile, someday the accumulation of our efforts will make a mountain!






It isn’t always the major things either. I know a person who was diagnosed with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome because a classmate in a sociology course (who didn’t have albinism) did a paper and presentation on albinism. They mentioned HPS as a small part of their talk, but what they said rang home to this person and caused her to do her own research. She took what she found to her doctor, was tested, and sure enough had HPS. Here, someone helped us that didn’t even realize it.






It isn’t important how much money you raise at a fundraiser, or how often you do an outreach, or how active you are on the listserv. It matters that you acted. It matters that you contributed. It matters that you tried and your efforts became part of the momentum that propels us forward every day.






Things are changing. When I was diagnosed in 2002, things were very different. There were only four known types of HPS then. No one with HPS had received a lung transplant. There hadn’t been a phase III drug trial for the pulmonary fibrosis of HPS. The HPS Network was less than half the size it is today. We are making progress.






You are only one, but still, you are one.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect