Skip to main content

The UnMother’s Day

Today was a special day for moms across the world, but for me it was just another day.



I called my mom and wished her a happy day. I had found the perfect Mother’s Day card actually, one that is perfect for an inside joke between us, but I hadn’t sent it because she will soon be moving, and I fear with the slow mail service it would just get lost.


Otherwise, I spent the day making it a point to avoid Mother’s Day. It isn’t that I have any hostility to the day, or don’t wish mothers everywhere well; rather for me it’s a day that more than most reminds me that I don’t have children, and likely never will.


For years this idea was especially painful. With time, I’ve adjusted to it. God has his plans, and honestly, I don’t know how some of the moms with HPS, chronic health problems and small children do it. I marvel at them! They are truly amazing and much under appreciated by the rest of the world.


Yet, if I were one of them, I wouldn’t be able to do the things I do now for the HPS Network. I’m sure I wouldn’t have the energy, never mind the time.


Still, on days like this, I can’t help but feel a tinge of self pity as a little salt gets thrown into a long festering, and finally healing wound.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for...

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I...