Skip to main content

Technology for entertainment

I'm passing this info along to anyone who might be interested:

SAVE THE DATE







Thursday, May 26, 2011














The Computer Center for Visually Impaired People (CCVIP) at Baruch College Invites You to a Technology Demonstration Entitled:
For Entertainment Purposes Only




NEW Times: *1:00-3:00pm or 6:00-8:00pm




Where: Baruch College 151 East 25th Street, Room 763




What: In this session, we will be exploring devices and software that are strictly for “Entertainment Purposes”. We will focus on Apple TV, a television top box that brings access to movies, television, music and more to people who are blind or partially sighted with its built in Voiceover screen reading technology. Have you ever been frustrated at not being able to order your own pay-per-view movie on your cable system? If so, Apple TV might be the right device for you. In addition to Apple TV, we will be showcasing accessible apps and products that give us access to radio stations, NetFlix and even some gaming options.




Admission: Free




Reservations Required: Call 646-312-1420
If you are unable to join us in person, the presentation will be recorded and posted on our site for viewing at your convenience. Please visit us at: www.baruch.cuny.edu/ccvip




Also mark your calendars for Thursday, July 28, 2011, when we will be offering our next Demo Center Presentation. Have you ever gone to buy a home appliance? What was that like for you—were the stores able to accommodate you? Are the appliances all that they could be, or do they just fail to meet your needs? Brad Hodges, from the American Foundation for the Blind’s Tech Center will talk to us about the adventure that is home appliance shopping.










Thank you!






Lisa F. Saunders


646-312-1420


lisa.saunders@baruch.cuny.edu






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for...

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I...