Skip to main content

Dr. Gahl at the TEDx Conference

Below is footage of Dr. Gahl, the primary investigator for Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome at the NIH, giving a talk at one of the TED conferences.

It doesn't even mention Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, but I've shared it here because Dr. Gahl so welll presents an issue all of us with rare diseases must be concerned about. After all the work and science that it takes to find potential treatments, what happens when those treatments go through the regulatory process? On what basis will they be evaluated, and should the same criteria be used for common disorders as is used for rare disorders? I would argue no.

In this presentation, Dr. Gahl spells out an ethical principle - risk vs. benefit. It's a principle I used (although in my own head) to weigh the potential benefits and risks of participating in the drug trial at NIH. Although we believed Pirfenidone was safe (and still do), it's not an experimental drug for nothing. There are unknowns.

I was still in reasonably good health, but I knew that my pulmonary fibrosis would progress. Thankfully, it's been progressing very slowly, but I had no way of knowing that at the time. I made a decision that the risks were worth it to me because pulmonary fibrosis is 100 percent fatal. The benefits, even if very small, mattered to me.

Dr. Gahl makes a very memorable quote in this presentation. It's been ringing in my head for these past few days. The FDA says that patients with rare diseases deserve to be protected as much as any other human subjects. We agree. But, as Dr. Gahl puts it, "Patients with rare diseases want to be protected, but they don't want to be protected to death."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for...

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I...