Skip to main content

Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Develops Disability Communication Card

Regular blog readers have often heard me talk about the joys of traveling with a suitcase full of medical devices, medical supplies and lots and lots of medicines. I'm the businessman's nightmare in the security line at the airport. One of the reasons I now use airport assistance (I didn't used to do it)  is because it's a way to avoid holding up the entire security line while TSA inspects all the unusual items in my suitcase.

Today I saw this item in the National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD) newsletter. I thought perhaps others with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome or Chediak-Higashi Syndrome could use this.



Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Develops Disability Communication Card



The TSA has recognized that some individuals need a discreet way to communicate with Transportation Security Officers (TSO) that they have a disability, medical condition or medical device that might affect their screening. In response, the TSA is offering a disability communication card that can be downloaded, printed and handed to the TSO. The card cannot be used to exempt an individual from screening, but allows a private means to inform the TSO and reduce delays in airport security. Access the card here: http://www.rarediseases.org/pdf/TSA_Cards.pdf.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for...

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I...