Skip to main content

Job opportunity for college students/recent grads

Below is an e-mail posted to the HPS Adults Yahoo! group today by Shirley. This is a great way to get a start working for the federal government. My brother Ryan is a former WRP intern. I thought I'd post not only for HPS'ers, but for everyone in the albinism community or low vision community that keeps up with the blog. Good luck!

P.S. This post is from a specific college. You should check with your own college's career development, job placement or disability services office.


The WRP is a recruitment and referral program that connects federal and private sector employers with highly motivated postsecondary students with disabilities who are eager to prove their abilities in the workplace through summer or permanent jobs.


In COSA we are coordinating CUNY's participation in this federal collaboration of the Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP), the U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) and the Department of Labor (DOL).

Applicants for the program must:

- have a disability AND

- be a U.S. citizen AND

- be enrolled in an accredited institution of higher education on a substantially full-time basis (unless the severity of the disability precludes the student from taking a substantially full-time load) to seek a degree OR

- be enrolled in such an institution as a degree-seeking student taking less than a substantially full-time load in the enrollment period immediately prior to graduation OR

- have graduated from such an institution within the past year.

Students who are interested in applying should contact Stephen Clark at Stephen.Clark@mail.cuny.edu. Interviews will be scheduled on October 19th, 20th, 21st and 22nd.

Your assistance with identifying students to participate is greatly appreciated. Attached please find a flier for distribution.

Regards,

Mavis

Mavis Hall
University Disability Service Programs
City University of New York
Central Office of Student Affairs
101 West 31st Street, 12th floor
New York, New York 10001
212-652-2051

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for...

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I...