Skip to main content

Mystery Diagnosis: The first round

Since its debut, the episode of Mystery Diagnosis featuring Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has aired a number of times. Each time we’ve had inquiries from people who identified with the story and would like to be tested for HPS. It’s been an interesting group.

With the exception of one person we’re pretty confident does not have HPS, everyone who has called in has albinism and GI issues. Several report all kinds of bleeding issues. The vast majority indeed do not appear to be of Puerto Rican heritage.

It’s amazing when you consider that HPS is supposed to be so rare – indeed so rare that some would argue no attention really needs to be paid to it. (Not me of course)

What are the odds that these people not only have symptoms of HPS, but happened to catch the episode of Mystery Diagnosis? How many more are out there that simply have never heard of the syndrome?

The next step is testing.

We can answer questions and help people seek testing, but that’s all we can do. It’s up to them to follow through, and truthfully often people don’t follow through. I only pray that these folks do indeed seek the testing. It could make a world of difference.

Comments

Shirlee McCoy said…
I watched that episode, and I was so glad the program featured HPS. I tried to research the syndrome before we adopted our daughter, but couldn't find much about it. Now that I am here, I see that I was simply not looking in the right places.

Thanks for posting on my blog. I feel blessed to be mothering Cheeky, and I hope I am building her up in a way that will serve her well as she reaches maturity.

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for...

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I...