Skip to main content

Adding book reviews

During the past five years I haven’t been much of an avid reader. When I was in college I ate up books. I marked them up, wrote notes or reactions in the margins and highlighted them to death. I had plenty of time to read back then. I’ve always preferred non-fiction to fiction. Perhaps it’s a reflection of my journalism training, but a work of fiction has to be really, really good or I get bored quickly.

Last Christmas Ryan and Sara gave me an iPod. It’s now up there with my must-have possessions. I can live without cable TV, but not without my iPod. As a legally blind person I used to get free books on tape from the Library of Congress. I haven’t done that in a long time. For all I know the technology has changed a lot, but I found having to buy the special four/track tape recorders cumbersome. It seemed like they were so fragile, yet so expensive. I was always sending them in for repairs.

My iPod has allowed me to re-discover audio books. It’s so small I can lay in bed at night with a book, or walk around the indoor track at the gym while “reading.” It’s great!

So, now that I’ve rejoined the reading world, I thought I’d add book reviews of my favorite books to my little categories on the blog.

Comments

Unknown said…
That's odd, I never had to buy those four track cassette players. . .they were always on loan. Still cumbersome and they STILL are constantly being sent in for repairs though. ;) Now they've switched to digital players, but they are still cumbersome. Actually I don't really use it any more - i download books from the National Library Service, or Bookshare and put them on my BookSense. :)

Popular posts from this blog

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for...

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I...