Skip to main content

Non-profit provides rehabed computers loaded with adaptive tech software for blind and visually impaired

I am simply passing along the information below for anyone who might be interested.


TCVC provides computers, free of charge (with a $100 donation) to visually impaired persons. (Note: This service is available to residents of the United States and Canada.)

Our computer program provided 400 computers last year, for a grand total of 3,500 computers distributed
to date.

The 3,000th computer was awarded on March 25, 2009. Elizabeth Harper received the computer, specially equipped for blind users, from the Texas Center for the Visually Challenged (TCVC).




The donated computers are refurbished by volunteers. This work has been done for many years by John Austin (shown left, below). More recently, volunteers from the North Texas PC Users Group (shown right, below) have joined in the refurbishing operation.




Who is eligible?
If you are a visually-impaired person in the United States who is serious about learning and is willing to listen to several audiocassettes to learn the basic steps for using a computer, then now is your chance.

Due to postal expense and the obstructive practices of some authorities in foreign countries, we are unable to ship computers directly to patrons outside the United States. Read more.

Is there a charge?
There is a $100 charge to cover packing, shipping, and replacement parts. Otherwise, everything is free. You will receive a computer, monitor, keyboard, CD-ROM, modem, speakers, and the necessary software.

What software is included?
Your computer will come loaded with all the necessary software to get you started on an exciting adventure:

A screen reader with a voice synthesizer will read aloud the information on the computer screen.

You can explore the vast quantities of information on the Internet and communicate by e-mail with millions of other computer users. PLEASE NOTE that you must first subscribe to an Internet Service Provider (ISP). All ISPs provide access to the Internet and e-mail, but their services and monthly fees vary widely, so each user must choose an ISP appropriate to his or her needs and preferences.

You will be able to write letters and maintain records of your investments, insurance, and other pertinent data.


How do I learn to operate the computer?
We provide each computer user with six audiocassette tutorials on the use of Windows XP and Window-Eyes.

TCPI President, Bob Langford, cautions that learning to operate a computer is likely to be frustrating at first and requires , but past recipients all report great satisfaction as they patiently follow the furnished tutorials, master the computer, and move into cyber space. Tutorials are supplied on audio tape and also in large-type font for those who can read the monitor and use the mouse.

Here is your opportunity to obtain a computer that will enable you to do many things that you have wanted to do by yourself. Keep in mind that it will require much reading and study, but through this program you can learn to surf the Internet, get a paying job, or fulfill many other dreams that you now have.

Our work includes in-depth discussions and research on synthesized voices, screen enlargement and scanning programs so that the equipment can be used with ease by visually impaired persons.


http://www.handicapability.org/computers.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I’m h