Skip to main content

A lot on my mind

I’ve needed to blog lately, but unusually, I’ve been putting it off the same way I put off dusting or ironing – there’s always something that seems more important and provides the perfect excuse to put it off. That’s unusual because I actually enjoy blogging very much. Lately, however, there are just some things I’ve started to think about, and then thought better of the idea and simply changed the channel in my brain.

Last weekend was my birthday. I had a wonderful birthday with lots of sweet messages from friends etc. I went to dinner with Echo and Karen and Jevon, who I hadn’t seen in ages. Tina J. spent several nights at my house and Tina B. joined us for a day. It was like a teenage slumber party, only maybe a tad bit more laid back. It was a great birthday.

As I get older, however, birthdays start to take on a little more significance. Of course as we all age we’re all getting that much closer to the various problems associated with old age – but when you have something like HPS, it’s more than just a general sense of getting older. Somehow, with each passing birthday, it seems as though the odds of starting to experience increasing problems go up. Perhaps it’s my upcoming NIH visit that adds a tad to the anxiety.

When I was in the drug trial and went to NIH every four months, any change was gradual. I didn’t worry as much about major changes. Now, however, it’s been a year since anyone had a look at my lungs. The pulmonary function tests I had in January were down, and I’d chalked it up to the cold I had over Christmas. Now, we’ll see if that was the case, or if I’ve lost anymore ground. I keep telling myself my cough is from allergies. What if it isn’t?

My life certainly isn’t what I expected it would be at this age. Most of the time I don’t let that bother me, but there are those moments when I think about my career and my finances and I feel incredibly frustrated. I did everything you’re supposed to do and thanks to health issues, I have nothing to show for it.

In those moments I try to think of the serenity prayer:
God, grant me the courage to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

I can’t change how HPS has affected my career or my finances. I can’t (immediately anyway) change the health insurance and government systems that force me to live my life to secure a way to pay the medical bills at all costs.

By spending my energy on helping the Network and various other outreach and advocacy duties, I can,, perhaps, make small changes in the world. It’s the wisdom to know the difference part that can really hang me up sometimes. Sometimes it seems like there “should” be something else – something else to do, or be – but then again should its self is a dangerous word. It indicates unmet expectations, and unmet expectations can be so frustrating.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect