Skip to main content

Karen T. to be featured on an upcoming episode of Mystery Diagnosis

The happy ending - the film crew films the loving family cooking hot dogs.

Filming at Dr. Lomax's office.


Karen at the TV studio being interviewed.

Karen with the make-up artists getting ready for the interview.



For those who don’t know, Karen has been talking to the producers at the show Mystery Diagnosis for months now. You wouldn’t believe the process that goes into creating these shows. Karen has endured multiple phone interviews lasting hours upon hours. She’s had to track down old medical records and play liaison between the show and her doctors.





Finally, she had to endure three solid days of filming right after being gone at ATS.
The first day was spent at a local television studio. I was allowed to sit in on Karen’s interview, but not the others. Karen did a wonderful job and was very open and frank with the reporter. The interview took FIVE solid hours under television lights. They then spent several hours, filming late into the night, interviewing Karen’s dad, husband and the doctor that helped her get tested, Dr. Lomax.
Dr. Lomax is a saint. You all know how careful we are with a doctor’s time. Poor Dr. Lomax had to wait two hours, after working a full day, before they even started filming her.





The next day Karen and I were able to stay home most of the day. We were both so tired. Meanwhile, many of Karen’s friends and family were giving up their entire day to sit around the hospital and be available to be extras in various reenactments of Karen’s medical life. Later that night we filmed at Dr. Lomax’s office. Once again she was pleasant and cooperative with the film crew even though she’d already put in a long day. We were filming until 10:30 pm at her office.





The final day they filmed at Karen’s house. Imagine a film crew having free run of your house. They moved everything around. They had to hide anything that had a brand name on it. I don’t know how Karen will ever find her stuff again! They had two hired actresses to play Karen at different points in her life.





Karen threw a barbeque for everyone who helped out, but she hardly was able to attend the event herself because they didn’t finish filming until 11:00 pm that night.





We really do owe a big kudos and thank you to the Tillmans for putting up with all of this. There wasn’t a single aspect of Karen’s life that didn’t get turned over by the reporters. They even asked her about her sex life and wanted to see her ostomy. She really did go above and beyond to help make it possible for this story to air.





I’m very excited about it as not only will it be great exposure for the Hundred People Search, but things on cable run over and over again.





The producers didn’t know exactly when this would air, but they estimate the last week in September. We will keep you updated so you can keep a look out for it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for...

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I...