Skip to main content

I have the bla blas

Have you ever felt just, well, bla? Not horribly sick, but not horribly well. Not really depressed, but not perky and peppy either – just kind of, well, bla?

That’s how I feel. It’s allergy season, and as I do every year, I’ve been battling these allergies and I’m sick of it. Allergies seem like such a minor complaint. I know people who are truly sick, so how I can moan about allergies? Yet, it’s amazing to me every year just how debilitating allergies can be.

I am currently taking a TON of allergy medicine and it makes me sleepy. The alternative, however, is hives and even more asthma problems. I’m already having several coughing fits a day that last 20 to 30 minutes at a time. It almost feels as though my insides are having a spasm of sorts, like I’m vibrating and it makes me cough. When I finish one of those coughing fits sometimes they are so bad I feel as though I have to throw up. If not, I feel worn out, like a wrung out dish rag. Then, later, I’m fine. Go figure.

My nose runs all the time. With medicine I just blow it a few times an hour, as opposed to constantly. My head constantly feels congested and my ears constantly pop as though I’m on an airplane.

The sore spot under my stoma, thankfully, doesn’t seem to be bleeding, but it’s about the size of a quarter and it’s purple, like a bruise. It doesn’t hurt though, except when you try to clean it. Fingers crossed it says that way. For a bit there I was having code browns galore.

Today I missed my art class yet again. They’re going to think I dropped it. I got a letter in the mail from my insurance company saying that they are going to drop me at the end of the month. Now, this could just be a clerical error, but since my life revolves around coverage, I’ve been on edge all day. I had been told that if social security found me disabled (which they did last Feb.) that I would be able to carry my COBRA until I’m eligible for Medicare.

My old company has a new HR person and she only works two days a week. What if the old HR person told me wrong?

I can reapply for Medicaid, and I might get it this time as I might be able to even qualify for SSI as my assets have been so spent down – but Medicaid is a sort of trap. It pretty much would prohibit me even more than I am already from trying to earn a little extra on the side. Yet, without additional income, how am I supposed to pay co-pays on 17 meds and medical supplies? It’s a sort of catch 22. Until I get it resolved, I’m going to be a wreck, and I bet the new lady doesn’t work on Fridays…..I probably won’t be able to do anything about this until next week.

I guess this is partly why I feel bla……..sometimes it’s hard knowing nothing in your life will be normal and you have to play these silly government games to just stay healthy. Outsiders don’t understand. They have their careers and buy houses and have kids and do all of these normal things that everyone does, and when you’re not like that, they assume your lazy, or a freak of some sort. It’s hard not to feel inadequate.

I find myself being a bit socially withdrawn for that reason. I know I need to get over it. Bla Bla Bla……

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Some good news about Pirfenidone

Below is a press release from Intermune, the company that makes Pirfenidone. They have essentially reviewed the various clinical trials going on, and decided that Pirfenidone is safe and well tolerated. That would pretty much go along with what we've observed in the HPS community as well. We have a few folks that have been on the drug since the late 90s and continue to do well. Of course, as a journalist, I do have to say consider the source - but at the same time, as someone in a Pirfenidone trial, it's good to know. Results of Comprehensive Safety Analysis of pirfenidone In IPF Patients Presented At European Respiratory Meeting - Analysis shows safety and tolerability of pirfenidone across four clinical trials - VIENNA, Sept. 14 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- InterMune, Inc. (Nasdaq: ITMN ) today announced that the results of a comprehensive review of safety data from four clinical studies were presented at the 2009 European Respiratory Society Annual Congress in Vienna, Austria