Skip to main content

Low vision moment - defeating the Spider

My latest low vision moment.....

Last night, naked as the day I was born, I went to get into the shower. There was this big black thing in the bottom of the shower near the drain. This time of year I have a lot of spiders in my apartment, and they give me the willies.

I often find them in the shower for some reason.

This big black thing was bigger than most of my eight-legged friends, but based on past experience, I assumed he was just the grand daddy of the clan.

There was no way I was going to share my shower with him, and he was so big I was afraid to try to squash him with a paper towel.

I went in search of bug spray under the sink, but I'm out. I thought maybe cleaning chemicals would be enough to subdue the beast so that I could kill him without him getting away from me. There's no way I'd sleep thinking he was on the loose in the apartment.

So, I leaned into the shower armed with everything from Clorox to Windex. I squirted him with all barrels. He didn't move.

I went to get the paper towel to scoop up his dead carcus and what did I discover? I'd just successfully killed the cap to the shampoo!

Comments

abaldauf said…
you just gave me the biggest chuckle! I so thought it was a huge spider (which I am afraid of too) and was thinking how brave you were all alone!! I have killed many spiders with chemicals but never a shampoo cap :) hee hee! Thanks for the chuckle!

Popular posts from this blog

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for...

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I...