Skip to main content

Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome Network awards American Thoracic Society the “World of Difference” award

Oyster Bay, New York – The Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome Network (HPS Network) awarded the American Thoracic Society (ATS) its World of Difference award at the 17th annual HPS Network Conference in Uniondale, New York. The award recognizes the tireless work on the part of the ATS to advocate for the needs of patients with lung disease.

Graham Nelan, Deputy Executive Director, Program and Development and Courtney White , Manager, ATS Research Program and Public Advisory Roundtable from the ATS, were on hand at the HPS Network’s annual gala dinner to accept the award.

The World of Difference Award honors those whose advocacy work has benefited people affected by Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome. HPS is a rare form of albinism that also involves a bleeding disorder, and other health problems. Those with HPS types 1, 2 and 4 develop pulmonary fibrosis, a scarring of the lungs, often at a young age. Currently there is no treatment for pulmonary fibrosis and many of those with HPS pass away from the lung disorder in their 30s to 50s.

The HPS Network and the ATS are also both celebrating 2010 as the Year of the Lung to bring attention to the need for more research and better treatments for a variety of lung diseases. Lung diseases are the fourth leading cause of death of the United States.

Founded in 1905 as the American Sanatorium Association to prevent, control and treat tuberculosis, the ATS was renamed the American Trudeau Society in 1938 before becoming known in 1960 as it is today. As a leading society of healthcare professionals focusing on pulmonology, critical care and sleep medicine, the ATS has more than 15,000 members, including: physicians, research scientists, nurses and other allied healthcare professionals, 25 percent of whom reside in countries other than the U.S..

http://www.thoracic.org/

The Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome Network was founded in 1992 and incorporated in 1995. The organization maintains a patient registry of nearly a thousand patients affected by the syndrome. It offers support and information to affected families as well as advocates for medical research to one day find a cure.

http://www.hpsnetwork.org/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for...

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I...