Skip to main content

Should – the most dangerous word in the English language

Blogging about some of the ways that having a chronic illness has affected my life seems so uncomfortable. I think the problem is in day-to-day life I try not to focus on it. When you do, the word “should” tends to come up a lot, and that’s probably one of the most dangerous words in the English language.

I can use that word a lot. I should have achieved x,y and z in my career. I should be married. I should own a home and have children. I shouldn’t be forced to live in near poverty to ensure I can get access to reliable healthcare. I shouldn’t have to constantly worry about the many things I worry about. Should, should, should – the list could go on and on.

The thing is nothing is achieved by dwelling on the way things “should” be. The fact is, things are the way they are. You have a choice every morning. Are you going to focus on what should be, or find something about what is that you can be happy about (yeah, I know, some days that’s harder than others.) That isn’t to say one shouldn’t identify problems and advocate for solutions, but you can’t live there all the time.

As a result, I tend to put out of my mind what to others might seem like obvious major issues because if I thought about them too much, I wouldn’t be able to enjoy what is in my life.

Consider that the disclaimer for future blog posts reflecting on living with chronic and rare illness. It’s not a whine fest – really – it’s more an exercise to organize things in my own mind for the benefit of the film project. If I’ve worked it out in my brain, I’m more likely to come across better in future interviews, presentations or filming.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect