Skip to main content

Water skiing program for VI kids

Before I knew about HPS, I was a very active volunteer in the Adventure Fitness program, run by Camp Fire USA, here in Kansas City. The program is for blind and visually impaired kids. It gets them active and teaches life skills. As someone who never played a team sport, got picked on so much in gym class that even now as an adult going to a gym is an emotional, sometimes tramatic thing, I really believe in this program and cause. I don't volunteer now as much for two reasons.

First, my HPS duties keep me so busy. Second, I don't drive and right now I can't afford cab fares to get to events. I get tired of always having to call around and beg for rides and feel like I'm imposing on people. I know, I know, you've got to speak up and say you need a ride, but to be honest, constantly begging when everyone knows you need a ride just gets old.

If I weren't so busy with HPS, and if my health issues were a little more predictable, I'd probably suck it up and be more demanding. Right now, I'm just focused elsewhere.

I do think it's an awesome program and a great experience for the kids - one I didn't really have growing up so I value it all the more.

Here's an article about Adventure Fitness's recent water skiing outing.

Mark’s on the Move: Water-skiing program caters to special-needs children

By
Mark Boyle
This week, Mark throws on the sunscreen and a swimsuit for a lesson in water-skiing. The MoKan Ski Club uses a privately owned lake just southeast of Lawrence and once a year is host to a water-skiing adventure for several of the area’s visually impaired children.


By
Mark Boyle
August 16, 2009
Editor’s note: Reporter Mark Boyle takes us behind the scenes of news stories in the area. This week, he threw on the sunscreen and a swimsuit for a lesson in water-skiing. The MoKan Ski Club uses a privately owned lake just southeast of Lawrence and once a year is host to a water-skiing adventure for several of the area’s visually impaired children.


The spray on their faces and the warmth of the sun on their skin were just a couple of memorable impressions made Wednesday for several area visually impaired children.

Boaters Brian Legg, driving, and Bryan Adriance, standing, help Tina Jinkens experience water-skiing.

As part of Adventure Fitness, which is a program of physical fitness and life skills for children with special needs, these kids were given the chance to fulfill a dream many thought wasn’t possible.

Read the full story at: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/aug/16/marks-move-water-skiing-program-caters-special-nee/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect