Skip to main content

Moving forward

I must confess, although I’ve been fighting it, I was in the dumps last week. I couldn’t help it. I couldn’t help but feel somewhat sad about our news from the NIH. Although I’m grateful the trial will continue, and I know we must press on to fill it, I can’t help but think of those in the trial who aren’t stable and who need answers now.

These trials are fraught with an emotional component. Currently, there is no FDA-approved treatment for pulmonary fibrosis. Thus, even those that are on placebo there aren’t really a plethora of other options. Still, I know that we were all hopeful that the drug would be found to be a great treatment, and that we’d all be placed on the drug for the duration of the study. I’m grateful that the researchers didn’t find that the drug doesn’t work. I keep reminding myself that could have happened, and that would be even more depressing than this situation is – but I don’t think it’s fair to not acknowledge what many of us feel.

I’ve been hard on myself this past week. I keep telling myself that there’s no value in getting emotional or having a pity party. It doesn’t help us work with the researchers, and it doesn’t do anything to further better treatments, and one day a cure.

Now that my disability is settled, I need to be beating the bushes for more paying work (hopefully my voc. Rehab counselor will get things moving so I can actually have the tools I need.). Yet, the dilemma continues that has been there since I was diagnosed. We need to fill this trial. That means we need to be on a non-stop outreach mission. Donna can’t do that alone. The “office” can’t do that alone.

It isn’t an abstract concept to me. It’s a life and death fight – and it’s personal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect