Skip to main content

The insurance saga – an update

I had another talk with the insurance company. It seems that yes, they do have all the records that I thought they had. The only ones now missing are those from the NIH. My friends at the NIH have done all they can to try to speed up that process, but it’s bureaucratic and there’s a limit to what they can do. We just have to wait.

For those who suggested I take some legal action, I haven’t ruled it out, but it’s hard to appeal a decision that hasn’t even yet been made. I have this horrible gut feeling that the company will deny my claim. They keep mentioning, “If this is not a pre-existing condition……” The fact is they issued the policy. It was an employee benefit. GINA says that they can’t hold my genetic pre-disposition to have these health issues against me, but GINA is a new law, and laws are only useful when you bring a claim to the court system.

I’d rather avoid that whole nasty mess. In the short run, I think I just have to assume I’ll never see a penny from them. Ironic isn’t it? The entire point of having such insurance is to not be at risk of losing what you’ve worked hard to earn – which I have – and to not have to fret in financial stress – as I have. I feel very let down.

On a possibly brighter note, knock on wood, my attorney tells me that social security has made a determination on my claim there. They have indeed found me eligible for benefits. Now, they are trying to determine what they owe me in back benefits. I’d feel much better if I had some documentation of this beyond a phone conversation my attorney had, but it’s hopeful news.

I am hopeful, although not entirely optimistic, that if the Social Security Administration has indeed found me eligible, that they might start to pay me benefits in May – even if the other matter isn’t resolved. After all, I so need the money and it would help a lot. It won’t pay all my expenses, but it would cover my rent and COBRA – the two largest ones.

Comments

Unknown said…
Ooooooooooooh, good luck!!! That's good news about SS. . .and on top of that, if they can start paying you ASAP you'll get the bonus thing from the Economic Stimulus package, right?
Fingers and toes are crossed for you!!

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I’m h