Skip to main content

Lazy weekend and frustrations

So far it has been a lazy weekend – not as I had planned it of course. I had a list of things to do, and I don’t think I’ve checked anything off. I have such a sense of guilt when that happens - like I'm not doing my part in the world and I'm undeserving.

This past week I treated myself twice, so I really shouldn’t feel so cooped up. Normally, especially considering my current penny pinching, I would have liked to spread things out a bit, but sometimes you just have to go when the opportunity arises. Poverty aside, there is something to be said for getting out with friends for one's mental health.

This past Tuesday my friends Karen and Echo invited me to go to dinner with them. The Melting Pot, a swanky restaurant down on the Plaza that specializes in fondue, was hosting a “girls night out.” For one price you got a meal, dessert and two drinks. It was very reasonable, especially considering what it usually costs to eat there. Not only did I get to indulge in my two favorite foods – cheese and chocolate – but I had a yummy Godiva chocolate martini into the bargain. No one mention it to Kevin - evil grin.

I almost never drink – but drinks were included in the price so why not? It was very, very good, but one was enough. (Yes, I skipped my study drug for the night.)

I am also working on resurrecting a tradition several of the adventure fitness volunteers used to have. We used to get together, usually after adventure fitness, at least once a month, for an international eating out. Every month we picked a different kind of ethnic food.

It’s a great way to try foods you’ve never tried before. We all order something different and usually share so we can sample a lot of things.

We got out of the habit several years ago. I stopped going to adventure fitness and several of the other volunteers moved on.

But this Friday we got a group of seven together and went out for Indian food. I’ve been craving Indian food every since Ryan’s wedding. I wanted chicken Korma in the worst way! We had a wonderful time!

But then today I’ve been like a slug all day.

My tummy has been okay, but my blood pressure has been a bit on the low side. I also think the wacky sleep patterns of the week finally caught up with me. I slept the better part of the day, and now that it’s evening I’m wide awake. If I don’t make myself go to bed soon, I’ll be completely flipped around. But, I feel badly for being so lazy.

One advantage to living with others that works against me when I live alone is that if you had others around you’d be forced to get up and move about. But I can fall asleep folding laundry on the couch and be left that way for hours. Is that an advantage, or a disadvantage? I’m not sure?

I’ve watched a lot of Netflix as I’ve drifted in and out – just as if I’d had the TV on.

I’ve been thinking of adding a movie review section to the blog as I think I’ve seen more movies in the past two months than in the last five years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect