Skip to main content

Taking down the Christmas Tree

It’s the middle of January and my Christmas tree is still up – well, partly. It took me two weeks to put up the tree because I was feeling so tired.

Now, it’s taking weeks to take it down just because I hate the task so much.

I love my Christmas tree. I love the twinkle of the lights. I love all the little ornaments, each one with a special memory or a special symbolism. I love the shiny balls and the beads I use. I love all the little red and gold colored bows I put all over the tree, and even the big red bow I put on the top – mostly because my angel has a tendency to flop over and take a death defying dive off the tree. The last time her wings were “clipped” sort of speak, and now she spends the holidays as a wingless centerpiece.

I’ve known the tree needs to come down. The stockings need to be put away along with the little snowmen and Santas that live on shelves around my apartment. I have a small nativity scene and thus I leave it up all the time.

But even though I’ve known these things, in the dark of the evening I’ve enjoyed the lights from the tree too much, like a warm blanket around your shoulders on a cold night. I stare at my tree the way a baby stares at a mobile over their crib. There’s something hypnotizing about those lights and the colorful sparkles of the tree. Unless I’m very close, I can’t even see well enough to pick out the ornaments. Maybe that makes the tree even more mesmerizing.

At any rate, the tree is slowly being packed away. I set a box next to it and every time I walk by I wrap up a few more ornaments in the old newspapers and carefully slip them into their boxes. Guests have had to move around the pile of old newspapers and the box – but hey, you do what you can do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect