Skip to main content

Holiday Caroling

I got so busy I didn’t get to blog about one of the most important events of the year – Adventure Fitness caroling and Echo and Karen’s annual after party. Although I’ve only been a part of this Kansas City ritual for about five years, now it just doesn’t seem like the holidays without it.

Adventure Fitness (not sure if that has always been the name or not) is a program that started many years ago. I’m a little hazy on the exact details. What I do know is that it was organized for a number of years by Linda Ray who was the teacher for the visually impaired in the Shawnee Mission school district for decades.

Often kids with visual impairments get left out of sports. They don’t always have the vision or the related hand-eye coordination to play many of the popular competitive sports.

Personally, I remember gym class as my own personal hell on earth. Not only did I spend most of the hour completely clueless about what was happening, but I had to endure the added social humiliations. I was always the absolute last kid to get picked for a team. In fact, the other kids would actually argue about who would be “stuck” with me. And the unstructured environment of gym class meant lots and lots of teasing. I hated it, and I think this is why I’ve found getting in a good physical routine as an adult so hard.

Linda recognized this problem and started arranging events for her students and other blind and visually impaired kids from around the metro area. She planned activities that harkened back to her days at camp and were easier for V.I. kids to do.

Over the years the activities were also used to create lessons in independent living. Christmas, for example, presented an opportunity to bake Christmas cookies. Kids who at home were never allowed near a stove were instructed in how to do so as a blind person – and the spoils of the day given to residents at area nursing homes.

The one activity of the year, however, that you could pretty much promise everyone – current and former – would show up for is the annual caroling event.

We rehearse and then perform at area nursing homes. This year we had a number of local musicians join us.

We do a mix of Christmas music, Hanukkah music and a few other folk favorites. We try to pick music both traditional and off-beat that represents the background of all the people involved. It’s just such a neat experience. I really enjoy learning songs from other cultures.

And then at the end of the day when it’s bitter cold and we’re all chilled to the bone as we watch our breath lingering frozen in the air, we gather at Echo (Linda Ray) and Karen’s house. They always make chile and we all bring something.

I’m not a big Chile fan, but every year I can hardly wait to get to that steaming hot bowl of chile! It tastes sooo good when you’re so cold!

I forgot my camera this year. Drats!

This year I also found myself having to skip every fifth song or so because I was getting all coughy and short of breath.

If anyone knows any visually impaired kids in the Kansas City area, this really is a great program and you can participate in the activities that interest you. It’s tons of fun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect