Skip to main content

Dermatology day

Today was my appointment with the dermatologist about this skin issue. Wouldn’t you know it by the time I finally get in to see the dermatologist, the sores are actually healing up. But I kept the appointment because, given the history of the last year, I think I can bet money they’ll be back.

Just for my own personal documentation purposes, if I was working I would have missed a half a day of work today for this appointment.

These sores aren’t serious, just annoying.

They bleed – and sometimes they bleed so badly that they bleed right through my bra and blouse and cause quite a scene.

Other times they just bleed a little bit – and when they’re new they’re pussy. You just never know. When they finally do heal they leave behind these purple scars.

The doctor did a complete skin look over – and I do mean complete. I was relieved it was a woman as for some reason I wasn’t expecting that. She complemented me on what good shape my skin is in given that I have albinism. She didn’t see a lot of sun damage, and nothing that looked like skin cancer. That was nice.

But, she and the senior doctor decided that they needed to take not one but two skin biopsies.

I hate situations like this that get sprung on me. We discussed my HPS and bleeding tendency. They felt that DDAVP was overkill, that this was a simple procedure. I said I’d let them do it as long as they promised me to not send me home with anything bleeding and to provide backup care if I had any complications in a timely manner (no waiting days for an appointment.)

So we went ahead.

Skin biopsies are so strange. They give you a little shot to deaden the area and it does. But the weird thing is even when the skin has no feeling for the biopsy, as they wipe on the iodine you can feel the coolness of it. I could even feel the texture of the gauze the nurse used. And yet I had absolutely no idea when they shaved off the piece of skin. My blood draw, which was nothing, had more feeling than the skin biopsy.

So far I’ve had no bleeding complications.

I expected it to be a bit sore this evening as sometimes when I have them done at NIH they can be a bit sore after the drug wears off. Tonight they just itch like crazy. I’m sometimes sitting on my hands to keep from scratching!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect