Skip to main content

In memory of Blanca

This evening I received the following note from my friend Carmen. Carmen is so right. As the 100 People Search continues to try to help people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, sometimes we find people that have such advanced disease there isn't much we can offer other than support.

Carmen and I both feel that it's important to honor everyone that passes away from HPS. Each and every one of them are part of our family. Each and every one of them has played a part in helping all of us with HPS. We learn something from everyone's stories. These are the people that have gone before us and have made life better for those of us left behind.

Over the years I've lost a number of friends with HPS. I consider each of them a special gift. Each of them has touched my life and I wouldn't trade those friendships for anything, even though it can be hard to watch your friends getting sick.

Here's what Carmen writes about Blanca. I never knew Blanca, but Carmen spoke with her often.

Hi Heather:
Since conference we have been on the Hundred People Search and that search has taken us to many people. Well, what I found is that as we are meeting so many HPSsers and we are able to make a difference in their lives, we are also finding those for whom is a bit late to be of help medically speaking.


I do hope that the small contact we have with them is enough to let them know that they are not alone in this HPS journey.

Over the weekend I got some sad news. One of our new friends passed away.

Blanca was 35, a wife, and a mother. She was very sweet and even with very low PFT”s, she was always upbeat and glad to talk. You would never guess that she was on oxygen when you spoke to her. She was hoping to move to Chicago and be listed with a transplant team at a local hospital. Unfortunately, Blanca did not make it.

I am sad, and I know this news will make other people sad, but we need to honor Blanca’s memory. She is not going to have the benefits of all this research for herself, but she helped the rest of the HPS community. Her footprint will be there forever in my heart and in the hearts of those who knew her and loved her. I wish she had more time, I wished she was able to make it and have the transplant; I wish she could still be with her family. Now, I wish that she is in peace, that her family is strong and that they have the strength to move on. God bless you Blanca and God Bless your family.
Carmen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect