Skip to main content

Traveling between Puerto Rico and NIH

We just got a head's up from Jose at NIH about a change in travel from Puerto Rico to the NIH. I don't want anyone to get caught off guard, so if you all could help us get the word out, that would be nice.

Apparently most of the HPS'ers in the protocol coming from Puerto Rico take United Airlines flight 1689 back and forth. The airlines are cutting back on flights and United Airlines has done away with this flight. The patients that took this flight will now have to take an American Airlines flight that's at a different time. I know you all are going to love this. Hector will have to pick you up from the hospital NO LATER than 4:00 am to make the flight on time.

It gets better! Please help us get the word out to folks, no matter where they're flying from, to PACK AS LIGHT AS POSSIBLE. The airlines, most of them anyway, will start charging $15 a bag to check luggage. So, try to get what you need to fit in your carry on!

I spoke with Jose about starting to mail people their meds as when I leave, those medications take up a lot of room in my luggage. He thought that was possible and will check it out to try to help.

Those of you that are going to Puerto Rico or who have regular contact with folks there - it would help if you could pass this along.

Lets try to make the adjustment with the least amount of grief for Jose - he can't help it and we're lucky to have the opportunity to be there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for...

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I...