Skip to main content

Bad dreams

This past week I’ve had such a hard time sleeping. There are lots of reasons. I need a new CPAP mask and hose and with my current insurance that’s been a hassle. I’ve been so busy at work and I’ve got a pile of insurance issues, doctor calls etc to make. I haven’t had the time to sit on hold and work my way through all this stuff.

I wish I had a day off, like Monday, when everyone else was at work so that I could get some of this stuff done!

Work has been causing me a lot of anxiety – we’re working very long hours and there’s more to do than we have the staff to accomplish. I feel like I don’t breathe all day. Actually, I feel like I’m short of breath all day but I think it’s anxiety.

And then when my brain finally shuts up for the night, I keep having this bad dream.

My NIH trip is coming up.

The last time I was at NIH and got the IUD, they discovered polyps in my uterus that needed to be checked out before we could proceed with the IUD.

The doctors bent over backwards to get me in for an MRI – I mean they really went above and beyond begging on my behalf.

I’d never had an MRI. I’ve heard people talk about how awful that test is and I could never understand how a test that just requires you to lay there could be so bad. I’ve never had closterphobia (although my mother does.).

Suddenly I find myself in this extremely narrow tube and I pretty much had a little anxiety attack. I flipped out to be honest. But, knowing what it took to schedule the test, and knowing that I needed it, there was no way I was backing out.

I laid there counting backwards, doing math problems in my head, anything I could come up with to distract my mind from the fact that I couldn’t move an inch and that the roof of this tube felt like it was only an inch from my nose. It felt like being in a coffin to me.

There is no MRI scheduled for me on my next trip. I don’t know why I’m flipping out about a test that isn’t even scheduled, but I keep dreaming about that darned MRI.

I am staying longer this trip (again) because there is a lump in my breast that Dr. Merideth wants to keep an eye on. They don’t think it’s cancer. We think it’s a calcium deposit discovered several years ago.

But, I’ve been having this problem with these weird bumps that keep showing up on my breasts, getting infected and then leaving behind strange bumps that never go away. Apparently there’s some rare form of cancer that can present in this way and we’ve got to be sure.

If they aren’t able to rule out cancer with a mammogram and a sonogram, then I’m going to have to have a “guided sonogram biopsy.” That sounds like fun.

Maybe that’s why I thinking about MRIs. What are they going to want to image next?

Maybe it’s some kind of subconscious anxiety thing representing my life – that I feel trapped – which is true.

I’ve been trying to think of why that test freaked me out so much, and if I have to have one again I think I’ll just discuss some of that with the docs.

I think it bothered me because I almost never lay flat on my back, even with my CPAP. It can sometimes feel hard to breathe when I lay on my back.

I have bad reflux sometimes, and if I lay on my back it can come up and feel like I need to throw up. It can go into my lungs and burn like crazy and I feel like I can’t breathe.

Sometimes if I have an apnea event at night – when the CPAP isn’t on – I feel like I wake up and I’m not breathing – that I need to sit up and kick my body into gear.

The idea of being in that tube that is so narrow that I couldn’t even scramble out if I wanted because I can’t even bend my knees to get any leverage feels scary to me. It’s so loud – would anyone even notice or hear me if I was in trouble?

They said try to fall asleep to get through it – but I’m afraid to fall asleep in there.

Comments

Anonymous said…
If you have to have an MRI on this visit, have them give you some sedation. It could even be valium or something similar. They do it for other people who are afraid of MRIs. I would have taken something if they offered it when I was in the MRI tube for 2 hours a few weeks ago. ASK FOR DRUGS!!!

Julei
Unknown said…
Heather,

They do have standing MRI's and open MRI's...but not at the NIH?

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I’m h