Skip to main content

Ryan is getting married!!!!!



We had big news this weekend.

As regular blog readers know, Ryan’s heart has been captured by a girl from Virginia named Sara. Grin!

On Friday night, Ryan took Sara on a dinner boat cruise, and as the boat turned around and the Washington Memorial was in the background, Ryan took Sara to the front of the boat, got down on one knee, and asked Sara to marry him. She said yes!

Our family couldn’t be happier.

I’ve only seen Sara on a few occasions, but she seems very nice and down to earth. She strikes me as the kind of person who always wants to help out and really tries to understand the perspective and reality of the people around her. That’s a skill that is rarer than you might think.

Sara is also up to speed on HPS. She’s been able to distinguish between the future of HPS and the past. That is another rarity in the dating world.

I know I’m bias, but I think Ryan will make a great husband. He’s “well trained” having grown up in a house of girls. The poor guy has been subjected to every chick flick out there and he’s heard more ranting and raving about some of the creepy things guys do that are not impressive to we women. And he does dishes. Grin!

Ryan reminds me a lot of our grandpa Cockerill. He’s just a nice guy who’s always trying to do the right thing and be attentive. And when he’s not, he’s open to polite and subtle suggestion.

Best of all, Ryan and Sara are nuts about each other. As Carmen said when I called to tell her, “Well I know he’s happy because he’s always smiling so big in every picture I’ve seen of him with Sara. I was going to ask him if his face hurt yet.”

I think Sara will fit in great in our family, and I think she’ll fit in great with the HPS family as well.
(Thanks to Julie and her daughter Sara for the pics)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect