Skip to main content

Bye bye Google ad?

Regular readers might notice that the ad that regularly appears in the top right corner of the blog has disappeared.

This evening I got a letter from Google saying that my Google ad account had been shut down. Apparently they detected some sort of thing where someone was clicking over and over and for the protection of their advertisers they shut down the account.

I’m having mixed feelings about the letter. On the one hand I totally understand where they are coming from. I have also been a google ad advertiser and you certainly don’t want to pay for bogus clicks. On the other hand, it’s irritating that the system punishes the publisher for something I have no control over. It’s not like I’m sitting here clicking over and over and over.

Many people know that I donate the revenues from my google ad to the HPS Network. I’ve never been out to make a buck off of HPS. Trust me, it drains my wallet far more than it has ever added to it. Grin! It could be that someone was thinking they were helping, although I’ve always told people not to do that. One click is a trade - your pennies for my reader's time reading your messsage that has been targeted to them - more than that is something different.

The part that does have me very irritated, however, is that they owe me a check which they may have stopped payment on. The ads that have been running lately were correctly focused to my audience. It’s been a lot of low vision stuff and I’d estimate 80 percent of my readers are low vision. To do that to me is crooked, although cleverly they’re contract gives them the right to do it. But the advertisers have already had the exposure to my audience, and now they don’t have to pay for it? That does rub me the wrong way – especially when I’m held responsible for something I don’t even know about.

I will file an appeal, but doubt very much I’ll get anywhere with it. Beyond that, what can I say? Oh well….I’d have to consider the time investment to fight about it versus the many other things the Network needs me to be doing right now.

I am perturbed though. Grunt!

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi Heather,

That is so sad! I had made it a routine to come and click on your ad on a daily basis...once I figured out where it was.

I hope they have a heart and let you have that check.

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect