Skip to main content

Blind politics

Just as in other community of more than a handful of people, the blind and visually impaired community has its own “sub-culture” and its own set of politics. In the United States, there are two major large umbrella groups for people who are legally blind – the National Federation of the Blind, and the American Council of the Blind.

While both groups can agree on many issues, they also each have their own beliefs about issues affecting the legally blind as well as in organizational style. Think of it like the difference between Republicans and Democrats, or Methodists and Presbyterians.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have been a member of the NFB since I was 19 years old. I was a national scholarship winner one year. I served on the board of directors of the Kansas affiliate for many years. But, I haven’t been active in about a decade.

There are a number of reasons for that – but none of them have to do with a lack of caring about the issues or the mission. It had more to do with my own health, scheduling and some things that were happening at the local level that by now are probably solved and anchient history. The thing is now I’m pretty swamped being the vice president of the HPS Network so I haven’t sort of reconnected.

Both organizations, however, can be very useful sources of information. You just have to check them out, question your own beliefs on things, and see where you feel most comfortable.

I wanted to explain all that to those who might not be familiar with these groups because both groups are having their national meetings during the next two weeks. A lot of news will likely come from those events and I sort of wanted to put all the stuff I’m likely to be posting soon into context for those that needed it. Grin!

Obviously I have a preference or I wouldn’t bother to be a member – but I have many friends that are members of the ACB as well. And, just like politics and religion, there are issues on which I don’t completely agree. I’ve just chosen where I feel I best fit most of the time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect