Skip to main content

Please pray for Elsie

Those of you that were at conference this past year will remember meeting Elsie M. We've been calling her New Jersey Elsie so as not to confuse her with Florida Elsie. Grin! Well, New Jersey Elsie needs our prayers and support. Her son has been in an accident and has lost the use of his legs - at least for now. Below is the article that appeared in their local paper. Pray for their family, for her son, and for Elsie. She's got a lot of medical problems of her own and this will make it even harder for her to deal with them. I wish I was in New Jersey so I could give her a big hug!

'I will walk again'
Paralyzed since storm
Thursday, June 19, 2008

It was a promise, not a prediction.

"I will walk again," Victor Muniz, 22, of Kearny, said yesterday during his first day of therapy, just six days after he was paralyzed from the waist down when a tree fell on him near his home during a sudden storm.

Muniz anticipates nine months of intense therapy at the Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation in West Orange - the same center where actor Christopher Reeve spent six months after a fall from a horse left him paralyzed.

"I am not supposed to be walking," said Muniz, a 2004 Kearny High School graduate who was captain of the basketball team and also played baseball. "I don't believe that. I have a strong belief that after I have done this rehab, I will be walking."

Whether he walks again or not, Muniz said he wants to become an motivational speaker and spokesman for people suffering from some form of paralysis.

Muniz and a friend were trying to get back to his house on Devon Street last Thursday at the start of the storm that included high winds and lightning.

The pair were just a few blocks from Muniz's home when the tree fell on him. Muniz said he doesn't remember being injured, only waking up in Newark University Hospital unable to move his legs after emergency surgery.

Yesterday, Muniz wore a Yankees T-shirt and a neck brace while exercising his arms by lifting different sized blocks.

His occupational therapist, Cindy Nead, was impressed by what she saw yesterday. "It looks like he is going to do well with us," Nead said.
Muniz said he has had so many visitors that he hardly gets a chance to sleep.

His mom, Elsie Muniz, said she was at home when her daughter, Joselyne Muniz, 19, received a text message that her brother had been taken away in an ambulance. They only learned the severity of the injury when they reached the hospital.

Elsie Muniz feels "lost" and "empty" knowing that her son was so athletic and loved to play sports. But she's praying for a full recovery.
"You have to have faith and believe in God," Elsie Muniz said. "He really wants to walk and I believe he is going to."


Popular posts from this blog

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Just waiting: A continuation of my transplant story…

Photo: This is me the week before the transplant. The one with the roses was taken on Valentine's Day. My sister-in-law gave the roses Ryan had brought her to me.

To be honest, I don’t remember much about the time I spent in the hospital before my transplant. I’m not sure if that’s because it was pretty boring and routine, so there’s just not much to say – or if it is some kind of self-preservation maneuver my brain has done to shield me somehow.

After the big rush to get to the clinic early, we spent several hours in the waiting room with my luggage as if we were waiting for an airplane at the airport. It turns out the big rush was due to a hospital policy that the clinic couldn’t request a bed for me until I was actually there. The hotel Inova Fairfax Medical Center was packed to the gills, and they wanted my name on the waiting list. It was late afternoon before a bed became available. Looking back, I’m amazed at how calm we were sitting there. Perhaps we were compartmentalizing…

Family hunting

I’ve always had an interest in genealogy. I haven’t done anything about it really. Never had the time I guess. Perhaps it’s because I’ve always been a fan of studying history. Finding ancestors somehow feels like a personal connection to the past, as if the DNA populating my cells has some sort of time travel awareness of what has gone before. Of course that’s crazy.

When I was diagnosed with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome my interest in my roots, especially my Puerto Rican roots, intensified. Maybe it was the realness of mortality or the connection between my newfound fascination with genetics and how it connected me to my family history.

For years I’ve thought about whomever in my family tree might have had HPS. They would have lived so long ago that they wouldn’t have known what HPS was. It wasn’t really identified as such until 1959. My grandma Cockerill, whose father was from Puerto Rico, talked about relatives in Puerto Rico she heard about as a child that had died of tuberculosis. C…