Skip to main content

Health update

Regular readers might have noticed I haven’t posted a health update in some time. I’m happy to report that’s mostly because I haven’t had much to report. And the few things that have been going on are pretty minor in the scheme of things. But, since it has been a while I need to post for my own record keeping.
\
First the CPAP – regulars will remember that Dr. Markello invested quite a bit of time convincing me how much I need to be compliant with my CPAP. He told me how my oxygen levels dip at night because I stop breathing etc. But, I’ve been battling the CPAP machine for years. I HATE the thing. Dr. Markello did make an impression on me though. Thus I have been very, very good lately. That doesn’t mean I’ve achieved perfection. I still have great difficulty falling asleep with the mask on unless I’m dead tired. And, the funny thing is the mask isn’t even irritating me as much as it used to – but still, it distracts me for some reason. The constant use has caused some bruises on my face and a few little sores – but I’ve been able to mostly keep those under control and they’re easily covered up with some make up. When I wake up in the night and the mask is off, I actually do put it back on instead of rolling over and giving up as I did before.


But there are still mornings where I wake up only to find the mask on the floor and I have no idea when I took it off or how much CPAP therapy I actually got. I’m not sure what to do about that. But, there are also mornings where I wake up with the mask on too.

Dr. Markello also gave me some medicine to help me stay awake. That stuff has been a godsend! It has made so much difference during the day. I am so much more productive and have such better focus and concentration. That drug is a keeper even if it does mean taking more blood pressure medication.

I am still struggling with being able to work at night. I get through the work day okay, but still go home and crash. Unfortunately with my current level of work duties and the HPS duties and my freelance stuff, I really can’t be falling asleep so early at night. That is still a problem. Taking another one of these pills that Dr. Markello gave me in the afternoon isn’t a good option either. I find I have a harder time falling asleep. I wonder how long that stuff remains in your system. Maybe I just haven’t mastered the timing right. I must remember to ask him.

IUD
I had a lot of spotting and cramping for several weeks after getting the IUD, but it’s much better now. I’m waiting to see the effect after a few months. So far, so good.
Allergies
My seasonal allergies are at their height! They are driving me bananas! My eyes have been swollen. My nose won’t stop running. My throat always hurts and after months and months of never once needing my abuderol, it seems the allergies have my asthma all kicked up and I’ve had to use abuderol several times. I actually went so long without using it that the other night when I woke up with a coughing jag I couldn’t recover from, I actually didn’t know where my inhaler was! There used to be a time when I always knew exactly where it was. I used to have several of them just to be sure I always had one handy – one for the purse, one for the desk at work, one for home etc.

Acid reflux – My acid reflux has been improved, although it’s still a problem, sometimes even with the CPAP on, which is a worry. I think the problem is my fault though. I think that I eat dinner too late and I don’t time the meds well enough. I just have to be more diligent about that.

Stoma issues – After pretty much completely healing up, the sore under my stoma is back and bleeding. It only bleeds a tad, but it feels sore and it means I have to go back to the much involved process of changing a pouch. To get rid of the thing I had to add all of these extra steps and expensive supplies. Yuck. I had to travel this week and I was worried the whole time I was going to have a “code brown” at the exact wrong moment.

GI issues – I’m pleased to report this is much, much, much improved. I don’t know why, but hey, I’m not arguing.

Joint pain – Typically my joints hurt when my GI is acting up, but I have had a few days here and there where my joints are really acting up (ankles, wrists and fingers) but I’m not having GI issues. I’m not sure what that’s about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect