Skip to main content

Pirfenidone trial 20-month follow up

What a week. What is it they say about the best laid plans? This admission at NIH was supposed to be maybe a bit longer than the usual Pirfenidone trial admission, but still pretty simple and routine. And from the perspective of the trial, everything was smooth sailing. It was just all the other things that came up during the week.

First the good news. I still continue to do very well on the lung function front – in fact, once again my PFTs were better than they ever were, even before they fell a bit making me eligible for the trial.

In fact, they are so good that I think Kevin and the gang might be second guessing if they jumped the gun admitting me to the trial in the first place since the pulmonary fibrosis on my CT scan is so very mild. During my wrap up they brought up the fact that some people don’t try hard on the PFTs when they are being screened in hopes of getting into the trial. They didn’t come out and say they thought I did this, but still, I wonder if they wonder. The thing is it’s hard for me to imagine how anyone could fake PFTs in such a way that it wouldn’t be noticed. How would you know exactly how hard to blow, or how much air to suck in that it would put you into the trial yet not be so bad there’d be a major discrepancy between your PFTs and other tests? I’m sure that they are right. I’m sure that there have been people perhaps trying to fake their way into the trial, but I am not one of them. I don’t have enough nerve to try to pull it off. The only thing I did do at the time of my screening was tell myself that the PFT results didn’t matter. Either they would be good and I would be excluded, or they wouldn’t and I’d get the chance to try to do something about it. That was more of an emotional coping technique than a resolve to not try my best.

The other thing is it just isn’t personal. Kevin and Dr. Markello and the rest are scientists. They’re supposed to consider all the scenarios that might impact their data.

As for me – what can I say – I’m just thrilled with my results.

As we add more patients to the protocol and the chances that the interim statistical analysis will happen maybe within the next two years, I am thinking a bit more about whether I want to know if I was on placebo or Pirfenidone when the double blind is finally broken.

On the one hand, I honestly will feel like a bit of a schmuck if it turns out that I made these kinds of gains on the placebo and all the exciting progress was in my head.

But on the other hand, I have this warped personality. I want to know. I want to tell the story, and the story isn’t complete without all the information. My feelings on the subject might be different if my results weren’t so good – so I guess I should stop thinking about this decision until I actually have to make it.

It is part of the “drug trial” experience though. How can one help but look at those white capsules every day and wonder what the heck is in them? It’s a mystery three times a day. Would I be able to stand never knowing the answer?

Okay, more blogging later. I really need to get to bed. Lots more to tell.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect