Skip to main content

Breathing Better, Pulmonary Rehabilitation

This photo is of the Breathing Better event hosted by the Public Advisory Roundtable of the American Thoracic Society - the photo was taken by the show's official photographer.

On Saturday, before the “guts” of the American Thoracic Society conference got underway, the ATS Public Advisory Roundtable held a special forum for patients. The theme of this year’s forum was pulmonary rehabilitation. It’s a topic that all people with lung diseases can benefit from – and it’s unfortunately a topic that many of us remain woefully uneducated about.

Donna Appell, the HPS Network President and Founder, is also currently the President of PAR for the ATS and thus was responsible for organizing this event. It had a wonderful turnout.

Karen and I were a bit late to the event because our flights didn’t get in until around noon. But, I learned a lot from the part I was able to attend.

I think the most important thing I learned was that being out of breath is really okay. I don’t mean the sort of out of breath that we all get when we have a good workout. I mean that sort of out of breath you get when you just can’t seem to recover or to catch a good breath. I am grateful to be able to say that this happens to me far less frequently than it did a few years ago, but it does still happen (today in fact.)

I have a tendency to not push myself as hard as maybe I should when I’m exercising because I’ve always assumed that getting to that point couldn’t be good for you. But, apparently, as long as you know that you’re oxygen levels are okay etc. this isn’t really doing anything to hurt you. It’s okay to push yourself a bit. It might even be good for you.

Many patients are never offered pulmonary rehabilitation or they’re only given the option when their lung capacity is already quite compromised. Unfortunately, in the United States, many insurance plans won’t cover pulmonary rehabilitation.

But, according to the experts that presented, patients can benefit greatly from a formal pulmonary rehabilitation program even when they still have quite a bit of lung function remaining. They learn skills to cope and to stay healthy as that lung function decreases.

And just in case I needed someone to hit me over the head yet again, there were a number of presentations illustrating how exercise really does improve quality of life and survival rates. I felt like standing up and shouting – okay, I get it already! I need to get off my fat (^(*^%(.

One of the respiratory therapists that spoke talked about the vicious cycle many lung patients find themselves in – they begin to get out of breath with day-to-day activities so they cut back. They gradually stop leaving home as often and remaining more sedentary because they can’t breath. That, in turn, causes muscles to become weak and the breathing problems to actually get worse. It’s a downward spiral. Unfortunately, for some of the lung diseases we face, that spiral, at least for now, might be inevitable. But that doesn’t mean you can’t fight it off as long as you can! And for those seeking transplants someday, time is a valuable weapon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect