Skip to main content

Todd and Ethan make the news

Here's the article that appeared in their local paper.

Brothers face rare genetic disease
4/13/2008
Greens to take part in federal study of HPS
By Dariush Shafa
Messenger-Inquirer


Todd and Ethan Green now have one more thing in common.

Within the last few weeks, the brothers have learned that they have Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a rare genetic disease that researchers are trying to learn more about. Soon, they will be going to the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Md., to be part of a study that seeks to find out more about it.

The disease also could spell trouble for the brothers, since studies have found that nearly three-quarters of people diagnosed with the HPS die from health problems related to it.

"I'm pretty scared about it because of all the things they say could happen to me," said Todd Green, 21. "It can happen all of the sudden."

However, scared or not, the brothers say they don't anticipate much of a change in their lives.

"I'm just trying to live my life as best I can," Todd Green said. "There's nothing I can do about it so I'm just going to keep living how I am."

Ethan Green, a 16-year-old freshman at Daviess County High School, felt very much the same.

"I think I'm just going to live life as it comes and enjoy it how it is," Ethan Green said.

HPS was first identified by two doctors in Czechoslovakia in 1959, but very little is known about the disease. HPS' main indicators are albinism, which is a lack of pigmentation either in the whole body or in the eyes, where it can cause vision problems, and platelet dysfunction, which can cause blood clotting problems and a tendency to bruise easily.

Researchers have identified eight genes so far that contribute to HPS and several different types of the disease. However, knowledge is still limited and doctors don't know how prevalent the disease is outside of Puerto Rico, where it's common. One out of every 1,800 native Puerto Ricans has HPS, and 1 in every 21 carries the genes for it.

In 1992, Donna Appell and her husband founded the HPS Network, which aims to help people with the disease learn more about it and get the resources they need for help. The network, which is based in Oyster Bay, N.Y., also has a major focus in promoting research for HPS and raising money to support the search for treatments and a cure.

Nationwide, the HPS Network has only 784 people registered, and Appell said that's largely due to ignorance of the disease. She said many people only discover it through a connect-the-dots process of examining both albinism and bleeding problems.

"It's very underdiagnosed," Appell said. "It's usually through some untoward event that people begin to suspect there's a bleeding problem, and once they see that they tend to search it through and come to HPS."

Appell said she and her husband started the HPS Network after her daughter was diagnosed with the disease and she found little information about it. Since they started in 1992, they have added about one person per week to their national registry of sufferers of HPS.

Since so little is known about HPS, the National Institutes of Health has begun a study that aims to follow sufferers of HPS and learn more about the process of the disease.

"This is the research that will gather all this data over time, a longitudinal study to determine what this is going to look like," Appell said. "You can research it all along the way."

As it turns out, this research could have major benefits for people who don't have HPS. Many of the people who have the disease later develop some form of pulmonary fibrosis, a disease where the lungs harden from fibrous tissue and the sufferer has trouble breathing, or from an inflammatory bowel disease. By studying people with HPS who are expected to develop these other problems, doctors hope to learn more about how to treat or even prevent the secondary diseases.
"There's a lot of benefit to that because you can study and end up unlocking mysteries of the generic population," Appell said. "(Following research) from rare to common is really useful."

The goal is also to develop treatments for pulmonary fibrosis, which is the most dangerous of the diseases secondary to HPS.

"They can succumb in their 30s or 40s. Therefore it was very important for the researchers to find a drug to treat the pulmonary fibrosis at the same time they're looking for a cure," Appell said. " We need to be able to give these people a better quality of life and a longer life and that's where the treatment is with a drug trial for the pulmonary fibrosis."

Heather Alvey, Todd and Ethan Green's mother, said for now, she just hopes to raise awareness of the disease and raise money to help find a cure. Right now, that's all she knows she can do.

"It hasn't (changed our lives very much) so far, luckily. They don't have any serious symptoms yet," she said. "We just don't know what the future holds. ... I hope to be able to raise money for the organization and keep an eye on the kids."

She also said that knowing about the disease helps her know what she needs to do.
"Now that I know they have HPS, I can be prepared for anything that comes up," Alvey said.

Todd and Ethan Green said they also want to take steps toward raising awareness and funding research for the disease, since it's all they know they can do right now.
"I'm trying to find out what I can do to make it better," Todd Green said adding that they now know what they're facing and they know they're facing it together. "Now we know me and him have one other thing in common."

For Information
For more information or resources about Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome or to make a donation to the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome Network, visit
www.hpsnetwork.org or call toll-free 1-800-789-9477.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I’m h