Skip to main content

Dr. White gives HPS’ers a sense of history

Dr. White poses with Carmen Camacho and Nancy Lee, board members of the HPS Network.


Our first scientific speaker on Sunday was Dr. James White from the University of Minnesota. If you’ve been diagnosed with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, chances are at some stage your platelets were under Dr. White’s electron microscope.

Dr. White developed the gold standard test for diagnosing HPS by looking for an absence of delta dense bodies under the electron microscope, a very special and highly powerful microscope. An electron microscope uses electrons to illuminate a specimen instead of light. This allows researchers to achieve much greater magnification of the object being studied.

Dr. White began studying blood platelets in 1958. He soon met Dr. Witkop, another researcher at the University of Minnesota studying albinism. Dr. Witkop asked Dr. White if he’d mind looking at some hair bulbs taken from patients with albinism under the electron microscope. Dr. White agreed, but asked if in return, Dr. Witkop could find any people with albinism that appeared to have a bleeding disorder. He’d heard reports of such cases and was anxious to study the blood of someone with albinism that had bleeding tendencies.

Within a few weeks Dr. Witkop appeared at Dr. White’s lab accompanied by a small boy with albinism from Ireland who happened to have a black eye. Although a black eye in a small boy doesn’t in and of its self indicate a bleeding tendency, a sample was taken anyway. Sure enough, the boy was missing delta dense bodies from his platelets.

Dr. White is responsible for naming Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, although it came about by accident. During a scientific meeting he was presenting some of his findings and comparing them to work that Dr. Hermansky and Dr. Pudlak were doing in Czechoslovakia. Every time he’d get to a new item in his talk, he’d have to give the entire description of what characterized patients with HPS. It was a mouthful. So, part way through the talk, Dr. White started referring to the list of symptoms as “the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome.”

Dr. Hermansky and Dr. Pudlak had described two patients with albinism, a bleeding tendency and pulmonary fibrosis in a paper published in 1959.

Yet even this was not actually the first report of a possible association between a bleeding disorder and albinism. A paper titled “Red Haired Albinos” published in 1924 in England observed that some people with albinism that had reddish hair tended to have a bleeding tendency. Today, of course, we know that people with HPS have all types of shades of hair, from very light to very dark.

Dr. White had the pleasure of knowing Dr. Hermansky and Dr. Pudlak from various scientific meetings. Dr. Hermansky, remembers Dr. White, was the devoted scientist. Dr. Pudlak, however, was a member of the Czech communist party, and as a trusted party member, could more freely travel to meetings abroad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I’m h