Skip to main content

Arrived at "Club Med"

Well, I'm here.

The flight was great. I really do love Midwest Express. I hope nothing happens to them with all the rises in gas prices etc. It is so nice to fly and not feel like you've been wedged into your seat like freight.

Hector met me at the airport. I enjoy riding to NIH with Hector the cab driver because he's such a great source of information about what's going on in HPSland. He gives me the down low on how NIH is going over with the crowd from Puerto Rico, whether there are any moral issues that might need attention etc.

I arrived in time to actually order a real dinner. That almost never happens. Usually I get here after the last call for dinner and I get a very dry turkey sandwich that tastes something like cardboard.

Dr. Markello was here when I arrived which is always a big treat. He really should have been a professor. I really do enjoy just picking his brain about what's going on with the research. Every time I learn something I didn't know before. Every time I spend time with him I understand the whole picture just a bit more clearly than I did. So, for me, that's a big treat.

I am getting nervous about tomorrow. Tomorrow I have my pulmonary function tests first thing. I have noticed that my breathing hasn't quite been as perfect as it has been. I am getting a little out of breath more easily, but I've been chalking it up to allergy season. Tomorrow, even if I know it's likely allergies, I'll still be worried if my numbers are down. It's just the way it is.

Dr. Markello told me they're adding a new kind of pulmonary function test, so I'll tell you what that was like afterwards.

But, perhaps what I'm even more worried about is the IUD.

Yes, I finally bit the bullet and am going for the IUD. Women with HPS can have very bad periods, and as I've gotten older my periods are getting worse and worse. It isn't just the bleeding. The craps are worse. It seems to aggrivate my digestive issues etc. It's seems as if I spend half the month recovering from my period and for at least a week out of the month I feel like I've got a horrible flu.

So, it's time for that little monthly friend to bid farewell.

I've tried several different types of birth control pills to control things - but I've had a bad reaction to the pils every time.

So, this is the next step.

The problem is that I'm so nervous about having it put in. Tomorrow I have to have a vaginal ultrasound. Oh boy, that sounds just plain kinky. I'm a shy kind of girl and that has me all worked up too.

So, tomorrow could be a long day.

And tomorrow night Dr. Markello is going to try to do a sleep study on me. I am looking forward to that since I've been so, so tired!

I think poor Lisa wants to go to bed, so that's all for now. Stay tuned!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sending hugs, hugs, hugs! Anxious to read an update.

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I’m h