Skip to main content

Scholarship deadline approaching - legally blind students wanted

Just passing this along - it's a scholarship time of year! If anyone else knows of other scholarships the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome community might be eligible for, let me know.

Also, NFB state affiliates often offer scholarships using the exact same form. Sometimes they're easier to get than the national ones - I can say that as both a state and a former national scholarship winner.

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND2008 SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM

Each year at its national convention in July, the NFB gives a broad array of thirty scholarships to recognize achievement by blind scholars. All applicants for these scholarships:

must be
legally blind, and
must be pursuing or planning to pursue a full-time, postsecondary course of study in a degree program at a United States' institution in the 2008 scholastic year, except that one scholarship may be given to a person employed full-time while attending school part-time, and
must participate in the entire NFB national convention and in all scheduled scholarship program activities.

In addition to a scholarship, each winner will be brought to the 2008 National Federation of the Blind Annual Convention in July at Federation expense, providing an excellent opportunity for high level networking with active blind persons in many, many different professions and occupations.

The scholarship application deadline is March 31, 2008, 5:00 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time.

What kind of student wins an NFB scholarship? Read about past NFB National Scholarship recipients in the August-September issues of the Braille Monitor.
·
Braille Monitor August-September 2007
·
Braille Monitor August-September 2006
· Braille Monitor August-September 2005
The 2008 Scholarship Application Form is made available online, by mail, and in the upcoming December 2007 issue of the Braille Monitor (available in large print, Braille, cassette, and online). To apply for a scholarship online, please begin here:
·
About the NFB Scholarship Program· Submissions Checklist
· Applicant Instructions
· 2008 Scholarship Application Form (online)· 2008 List of Scholarships· NFB Divisions, Groups, and Committees
To print a 2008 Scholarship Application Form, download the Word document:
·
2008 Scholarship Application Form (Word document)

NFB Scholarship CommitteeAnil Lewis, Chairman (Atlanta, Georgia)Office: (404) 371-1000 E-mail:
scholarships@nfb.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I’m h